It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Brain MRI and IACs - MS diagnosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
    dwilliams112
    (female)

dwilliams112 HB User
    Unhappy Brain MRI and IACs - MS diagnosis?

I had an MRI of the brain done yesterday with and without contrast, along with IACs - internal auditory canal imaging. Are IACs usually done along with the brain MRI for MS diagnosis?

I asked about why they weren't doing a cervical MRI as well, since they are also looking for a cervical root lesion, but the neurologist told me that he wasn't doing them because he did a nerve conduction test and it was almost normal (found carpal tunnel). I still have numbness in my left hand, getting worse, and my elbow is KILLING me constantly.

Anyway, any suggestions?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Brain MRI and IACs - MS diagnosis?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwilliams112 View Post
    Are IACs usually done along with the brain MRI for MS diagnosis?
    I am not aware of IAC as part of the diagnostic testing for MS.

Carpal Tunnel causes numbness in the hands and if the ulnar nerve is involved will cause pain and weakness in your arms including the elbow.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The IAC may have been an exploratory, but I have never had it done as part of my MS testing. Now, as to carpal tunnel, this might be a factor in some of your pain just as Snoopy said.

The problem with MS is in knowing what is and is not MS. Even after a diagnosis, questions will arise as to whether or not the "pain de jour" is due to MS. It took me about 3 years of cycling through symptoms and conferring with my doctor. Even now, I will still have questions.

Build a good rapport with your doctor and ask many questions. My neurologist has always been objective with her discussions. As you are unique, your specific complaints might differ from others.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
    dwilliams112
    (female)

dwilliams112 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I have had MANY more symptoms than just the numbness and pain in the elbow. I have the chest wrapping/crushing, burning, searing pain down both arms and up into head, stumbling, loss of balance, numbness in shin, ankle and top of foot (left side), some cognitive issues, absolutely NO sex drive, mood swings, TMJ, visual things happening (fracturing of images), ice pick headaches, ice pick pain in toes, itching, etc. The list can go on and on. I made a list of symptoms that I have experienced for the last 5 to 10 years, and I have a list that includes 29 things. My sister, who was diagnosed last year, suggested that I do that so that when I talk to my neuro, I can give him a copy of the list.

I guess they did the IACs for the loss of balance issue. That's the only thing I can think of as to why they did it. Any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
    dwilliams112
    (female)

dwilliams112 HB User

Also, I forgot to say, when the neuro did the nerve conductivity test, he said that I only had slight carpal tunnel. Can my elbow still hurt from slight carpal tunnel?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The IAC could have been for the balance issue. To be certain, I would ask your doctor why the IAC was done. Carpal tunnel pain varies from person to person. I would not want to guess as it might mislead you. I would ask the doctor.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

As to why they did the IAC, to a large extent, MS is a dx of exclusion as there are many other conditions that mimic its sx. Even with lesions --although MS lesions do usually have certain characteristics such as shape and location, there are times they can resemble ones found in other conditions, as well as in addition to sometimes present atypically.

Re: the MRI, some doctors are conservative and like to start with a brain MRI only because that is where lesions are most typically found with MS. That said, there is at least one person on this board who has MS but only spinal lesions.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Closed Thread