It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• MS and liver disorders

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
    kozzleme
    (female)

kozzleme HB User
    MS and liver disorders

liver test bad dr taking me off Avonex
    what can I do to help myself
    pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: MS and liver disorders

You might try to follow the Swank Diet (or similar). Stretching and daily exercise can help too. DMD's are not a cure. You can ask your doctor about alternatives or what will happen long term regarding your liver. You can live a life with MS without Meds.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You should be discussing what Im about to tell you with your doctor!

Almost everyone has elevated liver enzymes in the first 6 months of their blood work from either Rebif or Avonex. Its incredibly rare that they are NOT elevated; however almost everyone has normal ones within 2-3 months of the initial blood work. The reason is that it takes up to 6 months for the medicine to reach full levels in your blood stream, during that time, liver enzymes automatically elevate, and then start to go down.

The warning in the packet which comes with your Avonex clearly explains that an initial elevation in your liver enzymes is NORMAL and that the blood work should be retested 2-3 months later....if, at that time, liver enzymes have not returned to normal, the doctor should consider taking the patient off the drug.

If your doctor is taking you off of it after only one elevated test, he should be aware of this...

There is nothing you have to do for yourself.....6 weeks off the Avonex, and everytying will return to normal...its the medicine making your enzymes high..

Just so you are aware, high liver enzymes is dangerous, should it remain that way for more then 3-4 months....however, the risk of that, from Avonex or any Interferon, is less then 1%. I just wrote a very in depth paper on this, and happen to have quite a bit of data on it , all of which your doctor has the same ability to find. I wish you well, and hope that you have only had this happen one time and its not been a continuous problem for you....high liver enzymes for any long period of time would indicate something other then the MS drugs causing it...

Nikki

Old 07-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
    kozzleme
    (female)

kozzleme HB User

I have been on Avonx since 1993
    this is first time with high liver count---my GP took me off pravestin 3 weeks ago and this week my NERO took me off avonex I will miss my shot this wednesday-- my liver scan is thursday I have had 2 blood tests 14 days apart
    IT just seemed to me that GP and NERO were in a TISSY---good to know that this could go away in 6 weeks--thanks
    my feet have swollen and I am wearing slippers
    pat

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Pat, if you have been on Avonex since 1993 and have been having regular blood work done, I can only assume you have been, as it is Protocol on any Interferon to have it done bi-yearly......and this is the first time you have had elevated Liver Enzymes- something is clearly wrong, not related to the Avonex....
    Avonex would have done it in the beginning, not now.

So, the idea that it will reverse itself in about 6 weeks was based on stopping the drug that was causing the problem.......in this case, your liver might be fighting something, which is not drug induced.

Let us know how the liver scan turns out...and talk to your doctor if everything turns out well about remaining on a DMD for MS- after being on one for so long, getting off one now is going to invite all sorts of relapsing issues...not exactly what you need. Maybe Copaxone? No liver issues with that one....

nikki

Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
    molly3631
    (female)

molly3631 HB User

Pat - I am currently on Avonex, have been taking it for about 1 yr. My neuro checks my liver enzymes every 3 months, this last blood test revealed my enzymes were about triple what they should have been. He took me off for 2 weeks, checked my liver enzymes again and they were back to normal. During that time I drank a heck of a lot of water and pretty much nothing else. My neuro put me back on the Avonex for 1 month, will test my liver enzymes to see if Avonex is the culprit, if it is he wants me to go on Copaxane... Not crazy about because of the everyday injections, but from my understanding that drug does not cause liver damage.

Check out your options and drink lots of water!

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
    TXChica70
    Inactive
    (female)

TXChica70 HB User

I've been on Avonex since 1996 and, as of yet, no problems other than the continual side effects...ugh. Anyway, I'm curious because it's stated here that Avonex only really affects your liver initially. If that's the case, then why continue to get blood work done for years?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TXChica70 View Post
    I've been on Avonex since 1996 and, as of yet, no problems other than the continual side effects...ugh. Anyway, I'm curious because it's stated here that Avonex only really affects your liver initially. If that's the case, then why continue to get blood work done for years?
    I would surmise that either there is always a risk OR it is a way to protect the manufacturer from potential liability suits.

Keep in mind, any and all medicine or drugs you consume will be filtered by your liver. Many medicines have side effects requiring liver enzyme monitoring. My mother developed jaundice due to the sedative they gave her in ICU.

On a side tangent, this is why here on the farm we do not eat liver from cows we did not raise- because the liver filters everything the animal ingests including shots and meds. If the cow was ever ill, when butchered we avoid the liver. My uncle was a vet who was a pioneer in animal nutrition, he put us OFF liver unless the animal was healthy. We raised organic meat.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just to clarify, Avonex and Rebif both request blood work to be done quarterly, the first year....and both suggest that an elevated liver enzyme is likely only to happen within that time period; HOWEVER both also require that blood work is done 2 x a year after the first year to continue monitoring blood levels.

Elevated Liver Enzymes do normally only show up within the first year of being on any interferon, however, elevated white counts, low red counts, sugar levels, etc are all a part of being on an interferon and can show up at any time....which is why if you are on a interferon, your doctor should be sending you for blood work at least twice a year.

Nikki

Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
    mitch512u
    (male)

mitch512u HB User

MSjayhawk,
    Thats exactly why I won't eat liver...a poison control system, yecch!
    Neil

Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
    kozzleme
    (female)

kozzleme HB User

liver update--liver scan GOOD liver numbers coming down
    I'M off cholesterole med 26 days pobably the culprit off AVONEX 6days next blood work wed 8-6 will probably hear from NERO go back on AVONEX I'M working really hard not to go back to needles exercise ball 7days -okay maybe I I cheated on shwank diet to much NO more ICECREAM OR 3 CHEESE PIZZAS MSJayhawk-I take 2000fish oil glosamine1,500 calsium 1500-D3 B-complex every other day what do you take I also cook wild hog venison partridges rabbits but wild turkeys dont taste good any good recipes thanks pat

Old 08-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

some good news!! I am glad your liver is getting back to "normal"!!

I eat pork (white meat), turkey (white meat), venison, rabbits, quail, dove, pheasant, and fish. I am not a 100% follower of Swank because I have my likes! LOL. I will enjoy some dark chocolates and I still will eat cheese (low-fat) from time to time. I would not beat yourself up too much!!

The only recipes I have are to grill the game over charcoal! Remember that the game meat does not need to cook as long as beef unless it is fatty like with a raccoon or opossum. Rabbits are out of season due to the summer weather (rabbit fever and worms). I will wait until after the first frost to fill the freezer. For Rabbit and Squirrel (especially if the squirrel is older) I put 2 rabbits for every squirrel in a crock pot with potatoes, corn, peas, other veggies and some stewing tomatoes with about 3/4 stock. After about 8-10 hours the squirrel is really tender. I pull the rabbit and squirrel out and use a fork to flake the meat off the bones. I return the meat to the crock pot and leave it for another hour and then serve it up. With the mixing of the meat, the squirrel will be much more tender.

For venison I use a dutch oven and will often cook it as I would a pot roast, except at lower heat. Because the venison cooks faster, I will start the potatoes and carrots with a bit of stock before putting the venison in the oven.

Fish- I like them broiled or grilled, but I will also stir fry the fish Asian style. I will sometimes add in some shrimp or crawdads.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
    kozzleme
    (female)

kozzleme HB User

UPDATE on liver problem--liver count went up and down finally in Nov they did a liver biopsy count conclusion there is an infection dr wanted to know if I left the country but they finally came to the conclusion that it was an interaction of the supplements I was taking nowI'm watching diet -exercising taking NO medication--liver count coming down liver is healing itself pat

Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thanks for the updates. Your news sounds terrific and positive!! Keep on keeping on!!

Closed Thread