It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Visual Evoked Potential Test

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2002, 05:02 PM   #1
    poetess

poetess HB User
    Post Visual Evoked Potential Test

Hi guys,
    I just had my visual evoked potential test today. Was wondering if I could have your opinions since my doc won't go over the results with me until after I have my spinal tap so will be a few weeks. At first the person that tested me said if I wanted to wait afterwards, I would be able to find out the results so I thought that was good. During the testing, she was very happy with my right eye showing definite peaks when the checkerboard I was staring at moved. She seemed to be very concerned when my left eye was being tested and nothing was showing up. She even tested the electrodes to my head and they were fine. Finally she got one good peak during the last part of it. She also said that I would be getting the results from the doc.So I wasn't able to stay for the results. Is this something I should be concerned about? Could this be normal or do you think the left eye was definitely showing a problem? If my right eye is a little better (20/20) than the left (20/40) could that be a reason for no peaks? Also, I have been having right sided weakness and wondering why it would be that the left eye would be showing problems if this is indeed the case. I'd appreciate any opinions you can offer.
    Thanks and take care,
    Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2002, 02:35 PM   #2
    Kellie65

Kellie65 HB User
    Hi Kathy,

I was wondering what other symptoms your having? And by now your test results must have come back, so what did the doctor say? My husbands VEP came back abnormal and he was just diagnosed with Devic's Disease. It mimics alot of MS symptoms and is hard to diagnose.

Take care,
    Kellie

Old 04-19-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
    poetess

poetess HB User
    Hi Kellie,
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back. The VEP test results were normal. A few little irregularites but my doc said for the most part normal. The weakness has progressed on the right side and now am getting tingling pins and needles in right foot and hand. I just went back to the Doc this past Tuesday and he says he wants to do a PET scan to see how active the lesions are and to identify the one on the left side of my brain that is most likely responsible for my right sided problems. I just started yesterday to see something like a blurry spot in front of my right eye. It's difficult to explain but it's not like the total vision is blurring up but a tiny part of it in my right eye. Sound strange? Has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of it? How different is the PET scan then the MRI's I've been having? Has anyone heard of the PET scan being used to diagnose MS? Also, doc is arranging the spinal tap again that the hospital refused to do thinking if one of the lesions would turn out to be a tumor then the procedure could be then fatal. They didn't have any of my information and my doc says there is nothing to worry about as we are not looking at a tumor(s). I just wonder how long it will take for them to tell me exactly what is wrong so something can be done before it becomes much worse.
    Thanks again Kellie for your note. I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and will be hoping the best for both of you.
    Kathy

Old 04-19-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
    poetess

poetess HB User
    Hi Kellie,
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back. The VEP test results were normal. A few little irregularites but my doc said for the most part normal. The weakness has progressed on the right side and now am getting tingling pins and needles in right foot and hand. I just went back to the Doc this past Tuesday and he says he wants to do a PET scan to see how active the lesions are and to identify the one on the left side of my brain that is most likely responsible for my right sided problems. I just started yesterday to see something like a blurry spot in front of my right eye. It's difficult to explain but it's not like the total vision is blurring up but a tiny part of it in my right eye. Sound strange? Has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of it? How different is the PET scan then the MRI's I've been having? Has anyone heard of the PET scan being used to diagnose MS? Also, doc is arranging the spinal tap again that the hospital refused to do thinking if one of the lesions would turn out to be a tumor then the procedure could be then fatal. They didn't have any of my information and my doc says there is nothing to worry about as we are not looking at a tumor(s). I just wonder how long it will take for them to tell me exactly what is wrong so something can be done before it becomes much worse.
    Thanks again Kellie for your note. I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and will be hoping the best for both of you.
    Kathy

Old 04-19-2002, 08:58 PM   #5
    Kellie65

Kellie65 HB User
    Kathy-

Again I would ask them about Devic's Disease, syndrome its called both. Are you seeing a neurologist? I havent heard of a PET test. But my husband whole right side of body is tingly and pins and needles, he has lost periferal (sp?) vision to the right in both eyes, but before that he saw what he explained as "spots" and sometime blurring vision. His first VEP test came back about the same way as yours. He has weakness on the right side of his body and electrical shocks that goes down his spinal cord. He also has a lesion in his brain stem (which they thought was a tumor at first). His optical and brain MRI's both came back normal, which is normal for Devic's. He has what we call night kicks but I guess you could call them spasm. Very hard to sleep with that, haha (not a laughing matter, but you have to have a sense of humor or you go crazy), there's other things too but I would ask your neuro about it, ours didnt know much and we were sent to the Cleveland Clinic to rule out MS. We never heard of the disease because its rare and misdiagnosed. So after 2 1/2 years and his symptoms getting worse we finally know whats wrong and he is taking imuran, it's suppose to help slow it down. He has just started it this week. I hope I havent depressed you with all this. I know I am!! But anyways I would mention Devic's and let them rule that out.

Well hope this helps a little and hope all is well with you.

Kellie

Closed Thread