It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• aspartame dangers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
    Carla Sue

Carla Sue HB User
    Post aspartame dangers

I was just on another board and read a post asking if
    anyone had heard about aspartame dangers, well I responded and then figured I should put this in the MS board in case it could help anyone.
    Aspartame can cause a barage of health problems,including symptoms that mimic multiple sclerosis.The good news is when you stop using the aspartame (sweetener found in diet pop and other things)the symptoms disappear.
    If you are curious look up aspartame dangers and you will find out.
    I hope this helps anyone!
    God bless

Carla Sue

[This message has been edited by Carla Sue (edited 09-13-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
    F-Man
    Inactive

F-Man HB User
    every once in a while some well meaning person posts these aspartame scare stories. the truth is that aspartame has been thoroughly studied for more than 20 years and has been proven safe. There are a lot of quacks on the internet who have tried to perpetrate a hoax regarding aspartame safety. They've even made something up called "aspartame disease" lol.

Old 09-16-2002, 03:42 PM   #3
    Amy M

Amy M HB User
    I have a friend that talks with a lot of doctors and all the reports he gets from doctors are that "If I were you I'd stay away from it" Most of the doctors are reliable sources but have nothing to back that up.

When I talk to my neuorologist he says that there have been no true studies done to back up any of these hypotheses.

I drink at least 4 diet sodas a day...not bragging but I don't have a problem with it, although I do have ms, but since I started my therapy I have not had any problems. I really believe that the aspartame scare is hubbub, but I don't let my kids drink it!

I sure would like to hear anything that anyone has heard that can be legitimately backed up, the thing on the internet is a known falacy!

Old 10-01-2002, 11:07 AM   #4
    De Lou

De Lou HB User
    Question

Ok Maybe I may be one of the quacks. Or my family is.My Husband, Sisterin law and brother inlaw all drank diet soda. They all had some type of problems. My brother in law being the worst where he could not even hardly walk in the morning when he got up becuase his body hurt so bad. He had a lot of muscle cramping and alot of the same symptoms I have with MS. My sister inlaw had blood work done for problems she was having with her legs swelling and being in so much pain at times that she could not work. The lab work came back as testing at the low end for Lupus. The Dr. Asked if she drank diet soda. Of course her answer was yes. He said stop for one month and come back and see me. So all in all she and my brother inlaw stopped drinking it. She went back for lab work that Lupus result was no longer there. My brother in law had no more pronlems with his health and for my husband well he had minor problems and I have never heard him complain since he switched to pepsi. So I myself can not prove this as I am not the 3 of them. I mean they are a little quacky lol but I can see my sister in law as a whole new person. But like someone else said this information has been around for awhile. I chew sugarless gum. If I stopped would my MS go away? No I doubt it who knows where the diet soda thing started and if it is really true. But I thought I would share this info. Take Care! DE

Old 10-01-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
    Amy M

Amy M HB User
    Smile

Thank you for your reply! I would like to hear more legitimate stories like this if anyone has them.

I have questions about your family members though, after deciding to stop drinking aspartame did they try an all around healthy life style or change some other variables in their lives? Did they stop drinking diet soda and made no other changes or did they begin drinking much more water and thier problems were stemming from dehydration...if they drank caffeinated soda.

I just have trouble buying into aspartame as the total culprit, esspecially when it is in everything, including medicines. I would like to sort through it.

Thank you!

Old 10-01-2002, 10:02 PM   #6
    De Lou

De Lou HB User
    HI-

The family members I mentioned all stopped drinking the diet soda. None of them are active people or follow a healthy lifestyle. So to answer your question no other changes were made in thier lives. The live thier lives just the way they did before just don't drink the diet soda. I have heard diet rite is ok but they have switched to other sodas. Like I said my husband was a big diet soda drinker. But he also had one pepsi a day. He drank diet becuase he did not like all the sugar on his teeth. So of course he drinks more pepsi. They are all big water drinkers too and always have been.

DE

Old 11-23-2002, 12:58 AM   #7
    Randy's Wife

Randy's Wife HB User
    Thank you Carla,
    I am willing to try anything to feel better. I will stop ingesting the aspartame immediately!

Old 12-15-2002, 08:42 AM   #8
    Farmer Sue Tickle

Farmer Sue Tickle HB User
    The makers of aspartame are enormously influential, help finance Washington to the tune of many millions and consequently have the government's ear.

Some independent, peer-reviewed studies have shown the dangers of aspartame but are routinely rubbished by not only the aspartame maker but their brothers in arms who would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were to come out and sleight aspartame. Sounds like conspiracy theory ? Well consider the FDA refused to downgrade the usage of sugar and salt in the food pyramid ten years ago because of pressure from sugar and salt lobbies, as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

In other countries in the world where health is not market (read: money) driven, aspartame is routinely discouraged.

------------------
    Turn the tap off before mopping up the mess

Old 12-15-2002, 09:17 AM   #9
    F-Man
    Inactive

F-Man HB User
    Farmer Sue, can you name those countries and tell me where I can find official literature discouraging aspartame use?

thanks

Old 12-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #10
    Farmer Sue Tickle

Farmer Sue Tickle HB User
    The countries in the world where health is not market driven include those in Western Europe and Australasia.

I don't have offical literature or transcripts from GPs (PCPs) in consultation with their patients, nor literature from health organizations discouraging aspartame use. I can refer you, however, to some peer-reviewed studies on the use of aspartame that also takes funding source into consideration.
    [url="http://**********/peerrev.html"]http://**********/peerrev.html[/url]

------------------
    Turn the tap off before mopping up the mess

Closed Thread