It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Vitamin D and MS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Post Vitamin D and MS

Lots of evidence is accumulating that low vitamin D is related to MS. For instance MS is less common in southern sunny location. An article in the medical journal Proc Nutr Soc, 2000 Nov;59(4):531-5 with the title "Vitamin D: a natural inhibitor of multiple sclerosis." by C. Hayes, Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin found that, MS prevalence increases with decreasing solar radiation, suggesting that sunlight may be protective in MS. Since the vitamin D endocrine system is responsive to sunlight, and MS prevalence is highest where environmental supplies of vitamin D are lowest. Evidence consistent with this hypothesis comes not only from geographic studies, but also genetic and biological studies. They conclude, "if vitamin D is a natural inhibitor of MS, providing supplemental vitamin D to individuals who are at risk for MS would be advisable."

Other papers include:

High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and reduced bone mass in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 1994 Sep;44(9):1687-92.

Vitamin D and multiple sclerosis. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1997 Oct;216(1):21-7.

Current Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2003 Jan;5(1):55-68.

The Following User Says Thank You to orion For This Useful Post:
    emcg (04-03-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
    Soleil11

Soleil11 HB User
    This is accurate. We need to get sun exposure when possible for the D. Also, supplement with D for MS.
    I supplement with cod liver oil with D.... Soleil

Old 08-19-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
    DivaRee

DivaRee HB User
    There's more recent information on this.

Date & source: BMJ. 2003 Aug 9;327(7410):316.

Title of paper: Past exposure to sun, skin phenotype, and risk of multiple sclerosis: case-control study.

Researchers: Van Der Mei IA, Ponsonby AL, Dwyer T, Blizzard L, Simmons R, Taylor BV, Butzkueven H, Kilpatrick T.

Conclusion of study: Higher sun exposure during childhood & early adolescence is associated with a reduced risk of multiple sclerosis. Insufficient UVR may influence development of multiple sclerosis.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally posted by DivaRee:
    Higher sun exposure during childhood & early adolescence is associated with a reduced risk of multiple sclerosis. Insufficient UVR may influence development of multiple sclerosis.
    It's incredible that this information has been available for at least 10 years and you see very little promotion of taking Vitamin D. Are there even any studies being done on MS patients to see if this will work?

Old 09-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #5
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Here is another medical research journal paper about the use of Vitamin D to inhibit MS.

Proc Nutr Soc. 2000 Nov;59(4):531-5. Vitamin D: a natural inhibitor of multiple sclerosis. Hayes CE. Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin. They conclude that providing vitamin D to those at risk for MS is advisable.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 09-27-2003).]

Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

And another paper linking lack of vitamin D and MS.

Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1997 Oct;216(1):21-7.

Vitamin D and multiple sclerosis. Hayes CE.

Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin.

They conclude that MS may be preventable in genetically susceptible individuals with early intervention strategies that provide adequate levels of hormonally active 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [vitamin D3] or its analogs.

How sad if this is correct that we are telling our kids to avoid the sun or lather on loads of sunscreen. Sunscreen prevents vitamin D from forming at all and we may be setting the stage for a large increase in MS suffering.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 09-27-2003).]

Old 09-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #7
    Sampy123
    Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
    Sun exposure may help prevent MS, but I also have systemic lupus and must avoid the sun at all costs. Will vitamin D supplements be enough to keep MS in check?

Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 AM   #8
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally posted by Sampy123:
    Sun exposure may help prevent MS, but I also have systemic lupus and must avoid the sun at all costs. Will vitamin D supplements be enough to keep MS in check?
    If you can't get an hours worth of Sun every day then you need supplements. You can safely take up to 4,000 IU per day. You can start around 1,000 and work up. Normally you should also take some calcium/magnesium supplements when you are taking Vitamin D.

You should also know that DHEA, which you an get at Walmart, has been shown to be effective against Lupus. Here is a recent medical paper about it.

Arthritis Rheum. 2002 Nov;46(11):2924-7.

Dehydroepiandrosterone treatment of women with mild-to-moderate systemic lupus erythematosus: a multicenter randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

They were 200 mg/day for adult women with active systemic lupus erythematosus. The overall results confirmed that DHEA treatment significantly reduced the number of Lupus flares, and improved patient's global assessment of disease activity.

[This message has been edited by orion (edited 09-28-2003).]

Old 09-28-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
    Sampy123
    Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
    Thumbs up

Orion,
    Thanks for the information. I printed it out and will check with my doctor. I am getting hit with one thing after another here, I'm recuperating from open heart surgery. Can't catch a break here, I'm only 43, but I feel like 73. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Re: Vitamin D and MS

A new Harvard study of 187,000 female nurses over 10 years has found a 40% reduction in MS for those women who got 400 IU of vitamin D in their diet. Significantly only those taking supplements showed the decline. Vitamin D from diet alone did not show the reduction. I believe this is because when combined with calcium (as in drinking milk) you need more vitamin D to keep your blood levels up.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #11
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anyone have success with vitamin D?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
    ryka
    (female)

ryka HB User

I have read different information on taking Vitamin D and each gives and amount which is safe to take. Some say 1000 IU's and I have also heard 2000 IU's. I am currently taking only 700 IU's per day, but if it is ok to take more would be willing to? Does anyone know for sure the correct amount to take which would still be safe?

Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #13
    crystal22
    (female)

crystal22 HB User

My doctor told me about the Vitamin D thing and put me on supplements the day I was diagnosed. I've read a lot of articles suggesting that Vitamin D deficiency is linked to MS, one of them also said that more people with MS are born in May than any other month of the year. They think it's related to how much sunlight the growing fetus is exposed to. people born in may and june are in the womb through the winter, so the mom is usually exposed to less sunlight during the developing stages of pregnancy. I thought that was pretty interesting considering my birthday is in june.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #14
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryka
    Does anyone know for sure the correct amount to take which would still be safe?
    A December 2001 medical journal article (Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 May;69(5):842-56) in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrician by R. Vieth entitled, "Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety" establish that 4000 IU/day may be necessary to maintain proper vitamin D levels. It also notes that there is no known case of vitamin D toxic effects below 40,000 IU/day. It further states that the current 2,000 IU/d maximum limit is too low by at least a factor of 5x. Dr. R. Vieth is a major researcher in the area of vitamin D.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
    Ruth1
    (female)

Ruth1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crystal22
    My doctor told me about the Vitamin D thing and put me on supplements the day I was diagnosed. I've read a lot of articles suggesting that Vitamin D deficiency is linked to MS, one of them also said that more people with MS are born in May than any other month of the year. They think it's related to how much sunlight the growing fetus is exposed to. people born in may and june are in the womb through the winter, so the mom is usually exposed to less sunlight during the developing stages of pregnancy. I thought that was pretty interesting considering my birthday is in june.

I wonder if we should take a poll for the fun of it......

I was born in May..........

Closed Thread