It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• heightened/sensitive senses?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
    wittynamehere
    (male)

wittynamehere HB User
    heightened/sensitive senses?

Hi again,
    I'm just curious if people with MS ever have a sense of heightened or sensitive...senses? (Wow, that's a lot use of the same root word!).

Again, I'm not diagnosed and probably don't have MS but I have noticed both this time and the last time I was sick a sensitivity to light, to sudden loud/shrill sounds, and to smell. Scents that are usually fine or not bothersome suddenly are strong and overpowering. I can't stand being around perfume or air fresheners. After my last "episode" or whatever you want to call it, about a year and a half ago, I bought an air purifier with a charcoal filter (along with hepa filter and anti-viral ionic somethingorother). The sound thing is probably because I've had numerous ear infections and once my eardrums burst so although I have some minor hearing loss, I am occasionally sensitive to higher-pitched sounds (like I could hear a phone ringing a few houses down but my mother couldn't, and sometimes I can hear a high-pitched noise coming from the TV and nobody else can hear it. I'm like a dog LOL).

Anyways, I was just curious if anybody ever noticed unusual changes in their senses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: heightened/sensitive senses?

Among my varying sensitivities, I have extreme light sensitivity in my right eye. I also am temperature sensitive. I cannot touch certain plastic bags, some galvanized metal, and sometimes paper. I am also sensitive to certain clothing (it varies). I think that when the nervous system is "outawhack" it messes with sensory responses.

BTW, I should add that I cannot stand the sound of our vacuum cleaner running or certain other sounds.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 04-12-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: oops

Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
    wittynamehere
    (male)

wittynamehere HB User
    Re: heightened/sensitive senses?

Hi MSJayHawk,
    Thanks so much for your reply! I find it interesting that you have similar sensitivities and what you said makes sense, because, as you said, the nervous system is involved it can affect several different areas of the body including the senses.

When I had the last period of illness, I had the same thing and thought that I might possibly have Fibromyalgia although I don't have the specific pain points. My boss at the time had it and we had similar symptoms, etc. but that is probably coincidental...I get the feeling that my GP doesn't really believe in FM.

I am having my MRI on Friday so hopefully that will either help rule out or diagnose MS. At least I won't be waiting a whole year if I went through the public system.

I'd be interested in hearing if any others have the same sensitivities.

Thanks!

Closed Thread