It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• How does fever affect you?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
    redwonder
    (female)

redwonder HB User
    How does fever affect you?

Just wondering how fever affects you all. I rarely get fevers in general, and very few docs will diagnose me with a fever because for me, a fever is below 98.6. My normal body temp is 96.5 on a good day, so any increase of 2 degrees is a lot for me to deal with.

So here's my question... My MRI isn't until Thursday, with results being read the following Tuesday. I am hopeful we'll get some answers by then, but we'll see. How much does a fever affect those of you that have a diagnosis of MS, vs. a person who doesn't? I hit 102 today (5.5 degrees above normal for me), and was beyond miserable. I could barely drive myself home from the doctor, as it was getting worse the longer I was out. (Turns out I have an ear infection and a sinus infection, lucky me).

So how much of how awful I'm feeling has to do with such an elevated temperature, vs. just being a fever? Again, I really rarely get a fever, especially one that high. The last time I was that high, I had the flu and was delivering a baby, so I was pretty well out of it and not paying attention to all my symptoms.

Also, I forgot to ask while I was at the dr. today, whether this sinus infection and the antibiotics will affect my MRI readings? I should probably call the neurologist and double check, but they're closed for the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: How does fever affect you?

Hi Redwonder, the antibiotics should NOT affect the MRI readings, however be sure to tell your doctor and the MRI tech when you have it done.

Now onto the fever question. Its not normal for body temps to be as off as yours are, and that is not a MS thing...for you to feel as bad as you did is pretty normal with both an ear and sinus thing going on. I wouldnt have been able to tolerate feeling like that and driving. I still think you are superwoman for all you do!

But seriously, MS does affect our internal temps. We feel much hotter then we should OR we feel much colder then we should; however when taking our actual temperature, its usually in the normal range, even when we are freezing or overheated. I believe that something else might be going on with you but I have no idea what it could be......then again, maybe this is just one of the freaky MS things that is rare and I am just not aware of it.

Anyway, put your mind at rest, and get some rest, would ya?! That MRI will be very telling...and I cant wait to hear your results.
    Hugs
    Nikki

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
    redwonder
    (female)

redwonder HB User

I have Wilson's Temperature Syndrome, which essentially means that I'm hypothyroid, but all my tests will always show up normal. I have many symptoms of low thyroid, but my blood work is always within normal range. I am on the pretty low end of the scale when it comes to low body temp. Considering hypothermia is 95 degrees, I'm not too far off from that. My chiro calls me a walking corpse I have been trying some supplements for it, but the amount I'm supposed to be taking each day is a bit overwhelming, so I haven't been as good about it as I should be. Once we get moved and settled I will have to find a new chiro, and hopefully find some alternatives. I know there are a few other things available, I just haven't gotten into it yet.

So yeah, I've been miserable today. Thankfully I was able to mesmerize the kids with Star Trek movies, and got a nap in.

And lol, I'm nowhere near superwoman I am planning on taking it easy the next few days before the MRI. I haven't been reading much the last few days. Just wondered about the fever though and whether it's affecting me normally like it would anyone else, or if it's exasperated by the other stuff. I did notice my arm was a lot more tingly and painful today though, so it definitely makes me wonder. But, we'll know more next week.

Off to bed for me, thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Redwonder, get well soon. I hope you have a chance to really get some sleep and fight this infection off. Youre going to be okay- its just that your body is weak with infection and you are going to feel worse during that time. Hint- whenever I have been on antibiotics, I actually feel the best I ever feel for a week. If this is MS related, Ill be curious to hear how they affect your overall health, but I do know they wont affect your MRI.

Wilsons Temperature Syndrome is not something Ive ever heard of- Im going to reasearch it today just to learn more about it. Its interesting, what you are saying. I dont honestly think it will affect you one way or the other if you do have MS, but who knows? It might help! Keeping you cooler when the rest of us are overheating! Whatever is going on, youre very close to getting some more answers- and youre in my thoughts.
    Nikki

Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
    redwonder
    (female)

redwonder HB User

That's what I've been wondering, if having Wilson's has masked a lot of symptoms too. Since my body temp is so low, it really takes a lot for me to overheat. I take super hot showers on purpose, just to feel warm for a few minutes. I used to wear warmer clothes in the summer, when everyone else was sweating I'd still be cold. Lol, that always made for interesting conversation.

Wilson's is fairly intriguing. It's one of those things that hasn't been accepted yet by mainstream docs, so trying to discuss it with any endocrinologists or regular docs usually results in me being frustrated out of my mind. Thankfully the doc I saw yesterday was actually willing to accept the fact that 98.8 is a high fever for me, but he's a good guy and I've seen him in urgent care before, so I was glad I got him.

Closed Thread