It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Is cruising ok with MS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
    JodiH
    (female)

JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User
    Is cruising ok with MS?

I am new to MS and we are planning a cruise. I am wondering if anyone here has noticed any increased symptoms, outside of the heat impact, due to sea sickness, balance, vertigo etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Is cruising ok with MS?

Jodi,
    do you normally get seasick on a cruise? I have been known to. for me, cruising was the worst vacation we ever attempted with MS; only because I am prone to sea sickness and heat exhuastion and heat intolerance which have previously ruined any vacation where I cant be cool, or at least wet, all the time.

The cruise ship we went on did have swimming pools, but they are salt pools, filled with Ocean water, and they are very tiny..I couldnt cool down the way I normallly do, so I spent my entire time inside, in the a/c rooms...

When we go on vacation to resorts- which we do always in the winter months, we now go to all inclusive hotels. I spend my mornings on the beach or in the pool, my mid days in my room napping, and dont go outside again until after 3 pm when it cools down. Last march, in St Lucia, it was 101 degrees during the middle of the day....the only way to escape the heat was in my room...which fortunately had a wetbar and a jacuzzi tub big enough to swim in! Most people took nice hot relaxing jaccuzzis. I filled it with ice cold water and had a ball!
    Nikki

Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
    sodapopper
    (male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

Hi- We took a short cruise a couple of years ago- about 1 year after diagnosis, and I didn't have any problems. I don't have issues with sea sickness though. ALso, I don't seem to have heat intolerance, tho I avoid overheating anyways d/t my Neuro's recommendation. On the cruise, if we were sitting out on the deck, I would make sure we were in a nice shady spot with a cold beverage in hand. Have a good time!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I cruise main street whenever I can. As to the water, no longer for me! But if you can and you enjoy it- Do it!!

Most cruise ships are fairly large. If your cabin is above deck or close to the deck, you should be more comfortable and protected from motion sickness. Also your cabin should be midship too. The bigger the ship, the less likely you might encounter motion sickness.

The heat intolerance can be a real issue if you are on a summer cruise. You can take an Alaskan cruise maybe?
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 07-24-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add

Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
    JodiH
    (female)

Thanks all. We travel quite a bit-- Europe and Mexico each year-- When I do normal boating in the lake, I do get sea sick if we're bobbing along-- I did a short cruise once years ago and was fine. I noticed my last long flight was worse in terms of sinus pressure but I didn't feel any extra dizzy and no vertigo. Cancun last yer was when I was in diagnostic phase and was freaked about heat. I couldn't tell if it was for real or my emotions playing on me. I like the early am and pm outside. This is a European cruise so first I have to fly to Venice and then I have to worry about the day trips to the greek islands. We're doing it for my father in law's 80 th birthday as we think it will be easier for them...but now I may be the new variable. How do you pack your meds for an extended trip? Should I put in a little cooler? I hate to carry more junk than I already do.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Jodi,
    my meds can be at room temp for up to 30 days, dont know for sure about yours, but call Shared and ask them....if that is the case, and it probably is, just pack them in your carry on. Make sure you have a recent prescription from the box on you, you might also want to carry a letter from your Neuro (which mine gladly gave me undated, since I had to ask him for 3 of them in one year) stating that you carry injectables because you are treated for MS by him....with his office number and address..

Ive gone thru customs in 11 different countries with my meds, even in the Middle East, where they hassled me about a 3.2 oz bottle of something- they never questioned the syringes!
    Nikki

Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
    donalda
    (female)

donalda HB Userdonalda HB User

you may have already done your cruise but if you haven't or for any others wondering, going on a cruise was the worst vacation ever...it set my equilibrium off so bad for 10 days after..and this was (according to other passengers) a smooth trip...the rest of vacation was ruined because when we got to destination all I could do was lay in bed and suffer..I would love to go on cruises, but even though the stories and pictures are wonderful, would not be worth it.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Donalda,
    Welcome to the boards! I dont think Jodi has left yet...but we'll have to see. I wanted to tell you that I too, had the worst experience of my life cruising, and I do NOT get seasick when I go out on our fishing boat! Cruising to me was the worst nightmare of my MS life. Now, I do travel regularly, both for work and on vacation, both nationally and internationally and have NEVER had a problem with taking meds along, or even air travel. Cruising though, seems to do something to me, which screams "get me off this boat!"
    Never again for me, either.

Jodi, let us know what you decided to do??!
    Nikki

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
    JodiH
    (female)

Well we're going-- I probably would have been outvoted even if I did read your replies before booking it. We are going third week of Oct. Better yet, next week we're surprising our kids for a little florida trip. How will that be 90+ degrees and humid. It will be interesting how I do. I did not enjoy Cancun. I'll see if my symptoms come back as i've been pretty good. Except last several days, my left eye is feeling heavy and my ears seem plugged again! I don't have neuro visit until november now. What would cause me to make an emergency call??? No pain in eye but I didn't hvae it last time either but she thought I had ON based on how my eye nerves looked.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
    Kpilon
    (female)

Kpilon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JodiH View Post
    I am new to MS and we are planning a cruise. I am wondering if anyone here has noticed any increased symptoms, outside of the heat impact, due to sea sickness, balance, vertigo etc?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jodi,
    The simple fact that you are feeling "off" and are getting ready to go out of town would be enough reason to call and be seen by your Neuro. WHen I travel, I always make sure I have emergency med scrips...my Neuro has written me for 5 days of IVSM even; when Ive been that concerned that "something is happening". I havent needed to use it before, but even having a steroid pack (pills) avialble might not be a bad idea....

As for the cruise, good luck to you! As for the heat...just stay cool and hydrated as much as you can. My sister is in the keys, and says that right now, the ocean isnt too pleasant- due to the oil spill, certain areas are closed down...but make sure you have access to a pool and if nothing else, keep your feet in it! If you stay cool, you should be okay.

Let us know how you make out!
    Nikki

Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
    Kpilon
    (female)

Kpilon HB User

Hello,
    I have a little bit of vertigo with my MS and also have some issues with feeling on my right side. I also have an issue with walking because of my right side numbness. But I try to do anything I can. I always think of the song by Tim McGraw, Live Like You Were Dying. Do anything you can. I have a trip planned & plan on getting over my fear of heights by riding in a tram over a mountain. We only have this one life, so we can not let our illness control us, we have to control it & live the best we can

Tim McGraw, Live Like You Were Dying

He said: "I was in my early forties,
    "With a lot of life before me,
    "An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
    "I spent most of the next days,
    "Looking at the x-rays,
    "An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."
    I asked him when it sank in,
    That this might really be the real end?
    How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?
    Man whatcha do?

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
    "I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
    "And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
    "And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
    An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
    "To live like you were dyin'."

He said "I was finally the husband,
    "That most the time I wasn’t.
    "An' I became a friend a friend would like to have.
    "And all of a sudden going' fishing’,
    "Wasn’t such an imposition,
    "And I went three times that year I lost my Dad.
    "Well, I finally read the Good Book,
    "And I took a good long hard look,
    "At what I'd do if I could do it all again,
    "And then:

"I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
    "And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
    "And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
    "To live like you were dyin'."

Like tomorrow was a gift,
    And you got eternity,
    To think about what you’d do with it.
    An' what did you do with it?
    An' what can I do with it?
    An' what would I do with it?

"Sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
    "And then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
    "And I watched Blue Eagle as it was flying'."
    "To live like you were dying'."

Closed Thread