It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Do I have MS? Super Anxious!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User
    Do I have MS? Super Anxious!

I am going insane!

I am a 26 year old male, married and just got a baby girl (11 month old). I've gone through 2 rounds of depression and anxiety since January ( i thought i was having a heart attack).

In March, 2010 I would sit on the train and I'd feel a burning dot on my left back shoulder blade. This dot would only appear when i'd be sitting in a bad position. I ignored it as a pinched nerve. This pain has now grown and goes all the way from shoulder radiating to my shoulders, my mid-lower back and arm. My left side is super sore it hurts when i touch it, and the pain is there every time i bend over or i sit in a bad position. I went to my primary, and he gave me muscle relaxants and iboprufen, which i also suffer from gastritis. It didn't work for anything. My wife and doctor noticed that my left back muscle are much much smaller than the right (this freaks me out). Usually the pain is horrible at night when i'm tired.

Another thing going on is twitching. This has gone on and off for a few weeks now. I've had this years ago but i've always put it as anxiety.

A weird feeling i'm getting lately, mostly in the heat, I get this cold water drops all over my body when i move. It is totaly random but usually happens as i walk, not a lot either.

I have tender points all over my body. In my stomach, shoulder, chest, back and side. I touch them and they hurt A LOT. My back is super sore to the touch. When i touch some points on my back, pain goes shotting to my neck.

Though i'm extremely out of shape right now ( i get tired easily), I have no weakness in my legs, no numbness. Just some tingling and burning pain from my back.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon, hoping to get physical therapy for my back. He says it's neurological, even though all his tests came back fine. He took X-rays of my neck, and shoulders, they were fine and ordered an MRI which i'm doing next thrusday. I have had CT scans( in 2007), full blood checks 2 times.

I'm freaking out! I love my family so much i wanna work and live..i'm soo afraid of MS, ALS..can someone please help me!...when you tell a doctor u're anxious they dismiss you and belittle you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Do I have MS? Super Anxious!

Hello sullenx,

Only testing will determine if what you are experiencing is MS or something else. There are numerous conditions that have symptoms similar to MS. I'm not sure what full blood work you have had but a Neurologist will normally order bloodwork that requires anywhere form 8 to 12 vials of blood depending on what is ordered Yes, you read that correctly - common blood work from my neurologist for me is 10 to 12 vials of blood.

I know with an anxiety disorder it can be difficult to relax but please try.

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 and have had 2 children who are now 18 & 20. I still live a very full life filled with family and friends. MS does not always mean the end but the begining of a new journey. Try and be at peace and enjoy your family.

Best wishes

Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome. Snoopy provided you with some wise counsel. Anxiety, if not controlled can render a person with MS like symptoms. Congratulations on becoming a dad. My oldest is 20 and my youngest is 11. Both of them were born with me being an MSer. You can have a life with MS, but your anxiety makes your situation worse.

If you go to a neurologist who specializes in MS, you will have to be treated for your anxiety in order to get accurate data. Your neurologist needs to clear away potential "masks" which cloud a proper diagnosis.

You are a dad now and that requires you to step up and be there for your girl. She will need you well beyond her formative years. You need to think long-term- seeing her off to school, walking her down the aisle, becoming a grandfather...... If you do not control your stress, you will not make long-term goals. My neurologist told me back in 1982 that if I did not control my stress and avoid it, MS would be the least of my worries.

I do not think your situation screams ALS. There are specific tests for ALS, but none for MS. If you have MS, you can and will always be dad. You have to decide what kind of dad you should be. Stay strong, I will keep you in my prayers.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User

thank you forth replies. at this point I don't know if my symptoms are anxiety/depression. My left back muscle being much smaller than the right really freaks me out, even though people say its normal cuz the left side is my weak side.

so I saw the Rx for the MRI it says that it is the cervical spine hpn...which I looked online and saw herniated disc. I guess my doctor is suspecting something other than ms.

does any of you have similar symptoms?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sullenx View Post
    so I saw the Rx for the MRI it says that it is the cervical spine hpn...which I looked online and saw herniated disc. I guess my doctor is suspecting something other than ms.

Just to let you know: A MRI of the cervical spine is also used for MS.

MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which is the brain and spine. Lesions can and do show up in any or all of those areas.

It could also be as you suspect - your doctor is looking for something else other than MS.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User

Just as i thought it cant get worse. i woke up today to my right knee swollen, not a lot swollen, but enough to bother me. It is noticeable. A family friend doctor told me that my back and knee are unrelated, that i must have hit it with something, but i dont remember doing it. I am going to take alleve for the inflamation and let you knoe how it goes.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Sorry to hear about your Labor Day bad start. If you have diminished feelings in your lower limbs, it can certainly be possible that you do not remember banging your knee. Aleve is a good start. You might also elevate your leg and let it rest

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 09-04-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User

I've spent one of the most horrible weeks of my life. The anxiety took the best of me.

I developed painful muscle knots, on my back, stomach and chest. When I'd get up, the pain was unbearable. I went to the ER because they all went into spasm in unison...scary stuff...

This is the result of 4 nights without sleep!!!... I had to make an emergency visit to my primary, he gave me xanax and i was able to sleep and take control of the muscle spasm.

I just got the results back from my MRI and they read the following:

"
    Findings: The visualized portions of the posterior fossa are unremarkable. The cervical spinal cord is formal in signal.

Cervical curvature is within normal range. No compression deformities or bone marrow edema.

At C1-C2, the predental space is normal. The dens is intact.

At C2-C3 through C5-C6, there is degenerative signal of disc without loss of height. At C3-C4 and C5-C6, shallow posterior central disc protrusions minimally efface the anterior subarachnoid space. No foraminal encroachment. The facet joints are unremarkable.

At C6-C7 and C7-T1, the discs maintain normal height and signal intensity. No central canal or formanial encroachment. The facet joints are unremarkable.

The prevertebral soft tissues are normal. The retrospinous tissues are intact.

Conclusion:

AT C3-C4 and C5-C6, Posteriror central disc protrusions minimally efface the anterior subarachnoid space."

My doctor looked at it and laughed and said, where did you get all these protrusions. Then he looked at the films and said there wasn't anything serious here and that they are not protrusions but more like spots. He sent me to physical therapy and ordered some more blood work to rule out arthritis.

It worries me a little that i have "protrusions" but my doctor says that i'm fine and not to worry about it.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Your anxiety could very well be the root cause of your dilemma, BUT from what you wrote, the MRI only looked at your posterior fossa and cervical spine (Your brain stem and neck). If your doctor was concerned about MS, the MRI should have looked at your head and cervical spine both. While lesions could be on the brain stem, they could very well be above the brain stem too.

Ask your doctor about the rest of your brain and MRI.

If your anxiety lessens and your symptoms persist, you may need to change doctors. Also, it would appear that your doctor did not explain your results clearly. You have every right to leave the doctor's office with all the information explained clearly to you.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

Anxiety does cause muscle spasms! I know because my husband brought me to the ER a couple of times for it. I HAD horrible anxiety (hence my web name)....Panic Attacks all the time. I never knew what panic attacks were. They hit me out of the blue. I do not have them anymore because I no longer fear them. Anxiety will mess with you physically and mentally. Your body is on overdrive ALL the time.

Your symptoms don't sound like MS and definetly not ALS. HOWEVER, you know your body. Continue with doctors, if you truly feel something is wrong. Most importantly, slow down, relax, and don't search web for answers. Anxiety feeds on itself. Enjoy that baby girl.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User

Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes, it is anxiety. today, I was obsessing about my heart (again) for 2 days it didn't come down from 120bpm( maybe it's been like that for weeks and didn't notice it until now). I called my doctor freaking out and they performed another ekg, of course it was fine, except 120 bpm part. the funny part is that I fear heart disease the most, yet I have never shown symptoms for it (except chest pain related to gastritis)

I finally sat down and started breathing excesices, my heart rate went down to 78 bpm.

MS or not, I have a psychiatric problem, which I am looking for a good doc. I had always wanted to do it without it, but I truly see I have become highly irrational in this sate of mind. I have been taking Xanax, it has helped a lot with the anxiety and I'm starting lexpro tomorrow. I heard it kills the sex, sad to give that up for some sanity in my life.

I am going to stop looking for more testing and treat my anxiety first, if I see I keep having more neuro symptoms, I will follow up with a neurologist.

I thank you for your post, you have shown me that MS is not the end of the world, but I hope they find a cure for this disease (and maybe cancer while they are at it, my dad died of lung cancer, don't get me started on that trauma.)

Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
    sullenx
    (male)

sullenx HB User

Well I'm def convinced I don't have MS now, and that it is all Anxiety. But what a bumpy ride!!!!!

When i take a Xanax, all my symptoms magically disappear.

The last 2 weeks have been hell. My doctor put me on Lexapro, low dosage 5MG, and it's been hell. It spiked my anxiety to level that are incredible. I find myself now taking a Xanax .5 everyday just to go through this. The insomnia is incredible too.

I know this is not the forum for this, but does anyone here have had experience with lexapro and xanax. I've taken a total of 12 0.5MG pills over the last 2 weeks, i'm afraid i'm going to get addicted.

I don't know if i should keep weathering all these horrible side effects, since the muscle spasms are really hard.

Closed Thread