It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Gilenya?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User
    Question Gilenya?

Anyone know anything about this drug? FDA just approved it for treating MS. It is a pill, not a shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Gilenya?

Hi stranger! Good to see you back! Had you heard of fingolimod? Its the same exact drug...

The trials for this were successful; however the side effects have toxicity levels which concern me. Its only my opinion, but I wouldnt want to be on this drug! The people I know who were on the fingolimod trials all either relapsed and came off, or had such liver issues they were removed from the trials...It was released, so we can assume a certain amount of safety, but I asked my doctor (neuro) about it yesterday and he looked at me like I was nuts.....his exact words were "can we revisit this in a year or two when there is some data to look at?" My Neuro is not a fan of being the first one in his circle to prescribe a newly released anything!

Ya thinking about it??
    Nikki

Old 09-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

Hey, Nikki, glad to see you are still here!
    No, I'm not thinking about it. I hadn't heard anything about it before though, and I'm surprised that I'm SO out of touch!

I came back because I started having some (still relatively minor) sx flare-ups and thought I'd do some research. Then, after I read articles and such, I come HERE to get the REAL story!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

YaY for having another option!

That said, I won't be changing my treatment choice. I'm currently on Avonex, since 06'. So far so good with that. I will be looking forward to the feedback that comes after people start taking it. My neuro echoed the same thoughts...he is not for prescribing "new" to market drugs. There is no long term use data. Side effects were stated to be worse than Avonex in that phase III comparison study.

I was going to start a post asking for anyone who was involved with the clinical studies. WHAT WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE LIKE? DO TELL....

Congrats to all of us for science continuing to move forward

Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
    lilc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lilc HB User

It really is exciting to see things changing. I really hadn't been keeping up with new developments for the past 2-3 years. When I did some research a couple of days ago it was SO different - even the diagnostic criteria has officially changed in the past 5 years.
    Also, the article I read on this Gilenya said that the approval had been "fast-tracked". Imagine that, treatment options for MS (for US) are important enough to be "fast-tracked"!

Closed Thread