It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

which brouchure MMmmmmm

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
zadie
(female)

zadie HB User
which brouchure MMmmmmm

Ok been to ms clinic time for med gave me information on all the ABC they are all the same none better than any others only what suites me so lets just through them up in the air and see which one lands first.on and has anybody used rebismart or is it just a auto injector
Michele

Last edited by zadie; 11-17-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
zadie
(female)

zadie HB User
Re: which brouchure MMmmmmm

Really need some feed back on ABC please help

Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I am sure others can help you and will help you. If I went the med route, I would probably create a chart to measure the meds side by side. What are the limitations of each, the long term effects, possible side effects, price, availability, storage requirements, etc. I would probably narrow it down to at least 2 choices and then seek your neurologist's opinion. What you need is to make a well-informed decision which is objective and not tainted by emotions.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
zadie (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Zadie,
I use Rebismart, and yes, it is an autoinjector. To be honest, I prefer to inject with just the syringe, but I also inject in hard to reach places, like the back of my arms, where using the injector makes it MUCH easier to do! It really depends on where Im injecting, whether I use it or not. They will teach you to rotate to different parts of your body and its important to do so.

As for which drug to use? Its a very personal option. Copaxone is the only one which is NOT an interferon. You may like the idea of not having the side effects to get used to, but honstly, Copaxone is an every day injection and the biggest complaint is that you have to deal with injection site reactions, red welts...

Avonex and Rebif are the exact same drug. The reason there are two choices are simply that Avonex is injected once a week, into a muscle. It works very well for many users. The downside is that many users complain that because they only do it once a week, by day 5 or so, they are feeling the "i need a fix type feeling". So, they came out with Rebif. Rebif is given 3 times a week, thus you never get that feeling because your blood levels remain more stable.
Effacacy (how well the drug works) is important, and clinical studies have shown that Rebif users have a higher rate of less relapses and less new lesions; however its important to know that this changes for each user. What works for one, might be different for others. I am on Rebif and love it! However, I know people on Avonex who also swear by their drug....

You do get used to the side effects quicker on Rebif because it is titrated, which means that you start the first month on the lowest dose, move up to a middle dose month 2 and then finally reach full dosage at month 3....thus allowing the body to get used to the drug, and also because it is given 3 times a week, you also get used to it quicker. I know people on Avonex, who have been on it a year and still complain they are sick a full day each week after their shot....many people claim they never get side effects with Rebif...and for me, they lasted about 3 months, and only on shot nights, only for a few hours...Aleve (Naprosin) kept my issues from being that bad! I never missed a day of work or school when starting Rebif and the symtoms stopped completely in month 4....almost 5 years later, no new relapses and no new lesions on my films...

Again, though, just because I love Rebif doesnt make it the best choice...you have to decide which one you want to do.

Hope this helps alittle.
Nikki

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
zadie
(female)

zadie HB User

Thanks Nikki I wondered if you were still around you were a great help to me a year or so ago I have been looking at this stuff all day time to get some fresh air thanks again for the info hope all is well for you in your life. When you say flu like symptoms on Rebif is it as strong as people talk about on Avonex with the chills and teeth chattering and fever.
Michele

Last edited by zadie; 11-18-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Michele,
I dont know anyone who had those kind of flu like symptoms honestly and I know hundreds of people on Avonex and Rebif!

The flu like symtoms start about 2 hours after injection. For some people, they feel run down, weak and maybe feverish for an hour or two. With this, comes the sweats - and the chills- but it doesnt last long. To be honest, I used to take one Naprosin an hour before the shot and then 2 hours later, take a Tylenol PM or something similar to help me sleep- and that was it. Yes once or twice I woke up feeling lousy, but this is entirely mind over matter ....if you tell yourself you WONT get sick, you wont! If you tell yourself to sleep through it, you will. By the time the alarm clock went off the next morning, youre ready to face the day and not worry about it for 48 more hours!

Remember when you are reading those brochures that they are required by law to list every single side effect which was ever documented. Chances are you might have one or two, but not ALL of them and not ALL of them happen to everyone. I know people who in the last six months started Rebif and havent had a single side effect at all! If you are seriously concerned about side effects from interferons, I urge you to go Rebif, and not Avonex, as they will be much less severe and last significantly less time. However, if you are totally against this type of reaction, you could go the Copaxone route and deal with the daily injections and the possiblity of welts on your body.....its a tough choice, but I gotta say, Rebif, for me, was a no brainer. It has the highest effacacy, according to studies, it has significantly helped me to take back control of my life.

Let us know how else we can help
Nikki

Closed Thread