It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

numb/ cold feet?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
numb/ cold feet?

Hi there. Just a question to throw out to everyone. My feet keep going completely numb and turning white in the cold. My Neuro suggested it might be Reynaulds, but an appointment with the Podiatrist says not.

I still think the Neuro is right, but its not uncommon with MS patients...

Has anyone found any types of socks which help with this condition? Its really painful. Because I wear suits and business clothes, its hard to find socks which arent really super thick. Yes, Ill be wearing alot more boots this winter, but its socks which Im having problems with! Wool- itches, and obviously trouser socks dont help keep the heat in (or cold out).

any suggestions would be welcomed!
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: numb/ cold feet?

Nikki,

My daughter is suspected of having Raynaud's Syndrome, she does not have MS. Her fingers and toes will turn white and are painful. With Raynaud's color change of white, red and purple are common.

She prefers to wear fuzzy socks. Different stores will carry them and they are warm and comfortable. If it is Raynaud's you do need to be careful as you will be more prone to frostbite.

You might ask this question over on the Raynaud's form, they might have a better suggestion than mine.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thanks Snoopy. From everything I have read, it is Reynauds. The podiatrist did this stupid test, where he sprayed my toes with something to make them cold, and looked for color change.....since when i walked in, my feet were completely numb and already white in areas, I didnt think this test was very efficient. Especially because everyone i have spoken to, tells me its the exact symtoms of Reynaulds!

Ive been reading today and found some socks MADE for Reynaulds and other Neurological and circulatory problems. Think I will order one of each types and try them all out until I find something that works. Already, this is a painful winter! And it hasnt even snowed here yet!

Thanks!
nikki

Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You can buy a sock liner ( they also make glove liners). The liners are thin fabric impregnated with metal which reflects your body heat and helps you stay warm. It is rather difficult to dress for business in Mukluks!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually, Jayhawk, the site I was on today, sold them! I may look into that..thanks for the suggestion!
Nikki

Closed Thread