It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

newly diagnosed and scared

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
teb79
(female)

teb79 HB User
newly diagnosed and scared

Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with MS last month and will be starting Copaxone this month. I am 30 yrs old and very healthy and terrified about how MS will affect my life. I am getting married in May and working full time and in the next few years will be planning on getting pregnant. Has anyone had any problems while pregnant with MS? I guess I am just looking for some support and positive thoughts about MS and that it won't limit me in any ways. I am very active and work as a physician so terrified if it will limit me in any ways. I just need to hear some uplifting stories. Thanks for all the support- I greatly appreciate it!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: newly diagnosed and scared

Hello teb79,

Everyone with MS wonders how this disease will effect them and their lives. None of us knows what the future holds even those without MS. You try and live your life as normally as possible and take limitations, if any, as they come.

I was diagnosed when I was 24 and can take symptoms back to childhood. I had been married for 4 years when I recieved the diagnosis of MS, we are still married (almost 30 years). We went on to have two children who are now 19 & 21.

It is possible to have a relapse during pregnancy and/or post-partum...I did not. Both my pregnancies, as well as post-partum, were uneventful MS wise.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
teb79
(female)

teb79 HB User

Thanks Snoppy61! I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but hearing positive stories really helps. Thanks for the words of couragement.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

You are very welcome

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
hamfrie
Inactive
(female)

hamfrie HB Userhamfrie HB User

I am currently trying to get pregnant but I have lots of issues not just the MS (I have PCOS/endo and blocked fallopian tubes) so I am currently receiving IVF treatment. I have had MS for 14 years and you would not know I have it.
I am slightly nervous about what pregnancy will do to my symptoms but my biggest hurdle is trying to get pregnant! The other stuff I will worry about later.

Don't let MS stop you from doing anything you want to.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
JodiH
(female)

JodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB UserJodiH HB User

Hi Teb, You sound like me about 10 months ago. I am a female, 44, professional, active and healthy, two kids and diagnosed in May of 2010. I've been on Copoxane since that time and do not think of the disease on a daily basis. I am fortunate mine was caught early, in fact, right now I have the diagnosis of a clinically isolated syndrome. When another symptom appears or lesion I will get the formal diagnosis. Fortunately in the USA, treatment is available at this early stage. We may never get another attack but no guarantee so the meds help prevent relapses/severity of relapses. I consider it an insurance policy. The year has made me take better care of myself, exercise and take vitamins and considering they thought I may have had a tumor (my symptom was vertigo), the dr. said I am so lucky it's MS. I don't expect the disease to affect me. I think of it like a chronic condition...diabetes type thing. We will manage and control it. So many people have it it's unbelievable. It's not the disease of the early days. It's completely manageable. We are here for you just like you are for us!

The Following User Says Thank You to JodiH For This Useful Post:
teb79 (01-05-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
dumb and dumber
Inactive
(male)

dumb and dumber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teb79 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with MS last month and will be starting Copaxone this month. I am 30 yrs old and very healthy and terrified about how MS will affect my life. I am getting married in May and working full time and in the next few years will be planning on getting pregnant. Has anyone had any problems while pregnant with MS? I guess I am just looking for some support and positive thoughts about MS and that it won't limit me in any ways. I am very active and work as a physician so terrified if it will limit me in any ways. I just need to hear some uplifting stories. Thanks for all the support- I greatly appreciate it!!

PLEASE do yourself a big favor- do NOT worry as that's what may have brought it on. it will only make it worse. think positive and everything will be alright. get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, sleep in total darkness- no lights on. Look into vitamin D connection. check vitamin D council. get your 25(OHD) level done and see if it is below 50. ask your endo. to look into it if he/she already is not aware of it and ask if you should be taking it via IV or orally.

I have noticed MS in those who were under tremendous pressure,e.g; getting higher grades to get into medical school, etc. you should also get your thyroid levels checked. etiology could lead to adrenal fatigue.

Good luck, God bless and PLEASE DO NOT WORRY.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-29-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
teb79
(female)

teb79 HB User

Thank you so much for the uplifting reply dumb and dumber!
It was very helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice. I am working through it and it is getting better and my anxiety levels have decreased by talking to others. Thank you!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

[QUOTE=dumb and dumber;4672382]*******

get your 25(OHD) level done and see if it is below 50. ask your endo. to look into it if he/she already is not aware of it and ask if you should be taking it via IV or orally.
Normal concentration of 25 hydroxy vitamin D is between 25 and 50. And I am not sure why you referred to an endo?? If you are seeing an Endo- your probably seeing the wrong type of physician...

Also, FYI, Vitamin D can be overdosed upon...never start taking it without having your levels checked- and taking up to 2000 iu a day is fine IF you have an autoimmune disease; however the daily FDA amount is 400-600 ius. Make sure if you are supplementing, you are taking Calcipherol, or D3.

Hope that helps.
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 01-29-2011 at 02:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
teb79 (01-29-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
carbo29
(female)

carbo29 HB User

I was diagnosed one year after I was married and after finding out we decided it was the right time to start trying. Not because of the diagnosis but it was right for us.
I am 4 1/2 months pregnant now and honestly, I am no different. No new symptoms nothing is popping up, very standard pregnancy so far.
I am not going to stress over the possibility of a relapse after delivery, it may or may not happen so now I am enjoying all the fun of being pregnant and actually I am not focusing on anything else!
I too am in a professional position and yes it is scary to think about what might happen, but you also have to think, even without the diagnosis there are a million ways things in life can go and we can't predict the future anyway so don't let fear ruin or waste your life, enjoy what you have now!

The following user gives a hug of support to carbo29:
teb79 (03-09-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to carbo29 For This Useful Post:
teb79 (03-09-2011)
Closed Thread