It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Herbal remedies.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Re54per
(male)

Re54per HB User
Herbal remedies.

Hi i am wondering if anyone knows of any herbal remedies that work for MS. Especially on improving walking. I've been told about green tea, vitamin d and lions mane tablets and am wondering if any of them work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Herbal remedies.

Welcome. Herbal remedies should be avoided because many can interact with meds. Many herbals are sold to MSers under the guise of helping MS. For walking, the best thing my neurologist told me is to stretch-stretch-stretch AND to get up and get moving. Your walking may or may not improve, but as long as you are able, walk. When you cannot, rest, use a walker, or a powerchair.

You might also look into pool therapy. This can help to tone and condition your torso and legs for walking- and I have never fallen while in the pool!

My 2 weaknesses- dark chocolate and a Dr. Pepper seem to perk me up and much of my walking difficulty comes from fatigue, muscle weakness, and lack of balance. I walk with a cane and use a service dog. My service dog has been the best help for my walking along with my passive exercycle.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi if any are found I want to know. A friend of mine has it and seemed better the more she walked also. I don't think she walked everyday though. She eventually went to a nursing home. I would walk faithfully everyday except Saturday which can be reserved for a rest day.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have to agree with Jayhawk on this one. Herbal remedies should be avoided at all costs....they not only interfere with MS medications, but with symtom medications also....
THe other side of it, is many MANY herbs actually stimulate the immune system, setting off MS relapses.

Sorry, but exercise, stretching and of course lots of rest are the best thing for you!

Nikki

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hello Re54per,

I use a fair amount of vitamins/supplements but have never found anything that would help with walking.

There is a new medication that is specifically to help walking...Ampyra. Ampyra is helping some and some have not found it beneficial.

If mobility is a problem working with a Physical Therapist (PT) can be be beneficial. Talk to your Neurologist about PT, exercise and stretching.

Closed Thread