It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Symptoms back with a vengance, years later!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Preemiemama01
(female)

Preemiemama01 HB User
Symptoms back with a vengance, years later!!

Hi all. I am gonna apologize in advance if this gets long. I am 39 years old, will be 40 next month. Many years ago after a bout of Optic Neuritis and other odd symptoms I was hospitalized for these symtoms and a neuro on call with the hospital saw me. Oh he was a total jerk, no bedside manner whatsoever but I just wanted to feel better and go home. My daughter was very young and needed her mom! I had a MRI and it was clean. No lesions but no explanation for stuff either. Even labs were normal. Neuro said he was fairly confident I probably had as he put it benign MS and that was it. I finished my IV steroids and taper, a few days later I was ok to go home.
One year later I devolped trigemianal neuralgia. The only medication that honestly helped was Neurontin. I tried Tegretol and Depakote, that didn't work out well at all but Neurontin did work. I was on it for years and did great. I had to stop it because after losing my job a year ago I just couldn't afford it anymore.
I've always, always had headache. I had migraines in my early 20's but when I hit early 30's they went away. This headache is different. It's pain but pressure, random sharp stabbing pains hit in various areas of my head from time to time. Tonight it's across my forhead, other times it's as if my entire head is in a vice like terrible pressure.
Ok, I remarried 4 months ago. We moved to a new house, new area of the city, happy time but stressful. Back in the summer I was in the bathtub and my left leg felt odd. I can't say it was numb. It was a definate lack of feeling though. I didn't think anything about it. I figured it was from the move and went on. It lasted a few months and finally went away.
After Christmas the left side of my face began to feel weird. Not numb, but kinda like I'd been to the dentist and novacaine had worn off. I kept thinking it'd go away. It didn't. Throw in the ever present headache and I began to worry. I saw my dr ( internist) today and she was worried. I asked if she thinks I've had a stroke and she said no but she does think something is happening.
I have an appointment Monday with new neuro. My head feels yucky. I can be sitting still and get random waves of dizziness, nausea, hot flash type feelings. I'm just not myself. I do have anxiety but this is far from anxiety for me.
My emotions are in overdrive as well. I go from happy to just incredibly sad quickly these days and that's not normal for me at all.
I just don't know what to think other than whatever was going on way back then is suddenly rearing it's ugly head after years of having been absent. Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Symptoms back with a vengance, years later!!

MS symptoms can subside or disappear for years, only to return with a vengeance. You need to see a neurologist to get your life resolved. Your stress could have reawakened your MS or other chronic illness.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Symptoms back with a vengance, years later!!

Your symtoms may very well be trigemianal neuralgia related as well. Although they seem to be sounding neurological in nature, and possibly even MS related, the fact that your MRI and tests at the first time showed nothing may be good- or may mean very little.

Prepare yourself that one of the first things youll probably have to do is get another MRI. Make sure it is WITH and WITHOUT contrast and of the brain and at the very least, Cspine. Thats where most lesions hang out and will be seen..

Stress, Anxiety and worrying can make it all seem so much worse, as can fear of the unknown..so please try to take take care of yourself this weekend and relax, and dont over-do it. Dont think about this 24/7 because it wont change the outcome.

All of us here who live with MS, live normal lives- and make the adjustments necessary to continue to do so...youre not dying, but we understand your fear. Get a grip for your daughter and your new husband and hold your head up....until you know what you are dealing with, there is no sense freaking out, right?

We will be here to help you, should they suspect MS. We have all been where you are right now and have all survived...its scary, but you will survive this!

let us know what the doctor says.
Nikki

Closed Thread