It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

What is Uveitis?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User
Wink What is Uveitis?

Saw the optho today. It was not pink eye but uveitis. An eye infection, more steroid drops, he doesn't think it's related to MS. Then I come home and start reading. I will leave it at that. Any volunteers or victims of this weird word?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: What is Uveitis?

Uveitis refers to inflammation of the middle layer of the eye.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

It sounds auto-immune in origin so if not MS related, should I be worried? He (Dr) was convinced it was from a med but he wouldn't listen that I rarely take it. Could this harm, take my sight? I'm not sure what to do next!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

From what I read the terminology can also apply to the inner eye inflammation. Studies indicate that in 10% of the cases, blindness can occur, but much of this depends upon the cause of the inflammation. Eye drops appear to be the most common treatment.

I cannot tell you to not worry, but I will tell you that if it were me, I would not worry. If it is not MS, worrying could worsen your MS. If it is MS, worrying could worsen your MS. Logic would say not to worry. Stay strong, you are in my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Kim,
If it makes you feel any better, I know someone who also has MS who was dx with this awhile back...she too, freaked! They prescribed Steroid drops for her as well and it completely cleared up. She is absolutely fine.

I went and read what I could about this too- and I do see reason to think that MSers may be more suspecible to this; however I wouldnt worry either. Any "itis' is an inflammation of something- and inflammation of the eye, scary as it sounds, can be reversed. Optical Neuritis, is inflammation of the optic nerve; ive had it 3 times so far, and my vision was fortunate enough to return to complete (as complete as it ever was, Ive always worn glasses!).

Seriously, take Jayhawks advice and try NOT to worry, it can only aggravate your other symptoms!
Hugs
Nikki

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Thank you! I'm distressed because he and his young optho-in-training were convinced it was due to a drug I don't take. He wouldn't listen. With that, I will go back to my re-check with what's leftover of what he feels is the culprit med and he can see for himself! I don't care to be dismissed with "I don't think it has anything to do with MS" when it clearly can! You made me feel better!

Last edited by kimpossible67; 01-27-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
jennybyc
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Kimpossible. I don't know if this helps, but I have uveitis in both eyes but mine is from rheumatoid arthritis. It comes in anterior, intermediate, posterior and diffuse. The doc said it was anterior but my symptoms are more like intermediate. No pain, but major vision problems. It rolls and then dips and then disappears and each eye is different. I don't have some of the symptoms because I was on RA meds when I got it so the symptoms were less severe.

Basically, from what I've been told, it changes the shape of the eyeball by inflaming the layers of tissue that make up the eyeball. So when they are inflamed, the eye tissues swell and make vision very off. It got under control when I started a new biologic drug but it still gets bad and then better. The doc figured if it got better and more stable with the biologic, it had to be RA uveitis as the drug is pretty specific(Orencia).

I also have optic neuropathy from decreased blood flow to the optic nerves. RA can inflame blood vessels and cut blood supply down.

Please stay on top of this as it can get serious. My best friend has had MS for 30 years and she and I trade symptoms some times. She gets her optic neuritis and I get my uveitis. But both of us can see pretty well, so far.

If it comes back or gets worse, I'd suggest getting a consult with a neuro-ophthalmologist and not just an ophthalmologist...they are far more specialized in diagnosing these problems. My oph. gave up fairly quickly and got me into a neuro-oph and I was very glad he did. It sill took him over a year to figure it out. But now I feel confident I will keep my vision.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
kimpossible67
Veteran
(female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Why, Jenny Thank you! Like I didn't feel out in left field with MS as it were
He did ask about reh. Arthritis! I had my very first case of pink eye right before Christmas and again, two weeks ago in both eyes. The difference this time was a stabbing pain in the left eye with severe light sensitivity. From then on, my left eye was blurry! I questioned him yesterday and he said he doesn't believe it was pink eye I was suffering.

Closed Thread