It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• MS and Fibromyalgia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
    chickenwogs
    (female)

chickenwogs HB User
    Question MS and Fibromyalgia

Has anyone out there been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and then MS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
    donalda
    (female)

donalda HB Userdonalda HB User
    Re: MS and Fibromyalgia

I have been diagnosed with MS since 1991 and then a few years back Fibro...the dr explained that 80% of Fibro patients have something else..MS, Arthritis, Lupus, etc...20% have it just by itself...he said for us who have something else it is called Secondary Fibromyalgia..he was an expert in the field who went into research...but as I said my MS came first.

The Following User Says Thank You to donalda For This Useful Post:
    chickenwogs (05-18-2011)
    Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
    chickenwogs
    (female)

chickenwogs HB User

Thanks for your response. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 2 years after getting a RSI back in 1984 and then developed MS about 6 years ago. Interesting stats you posted. I was on betaferon 'til about 2-1/2 years ago then started Tysabri infusions. I decided to go off the Tysabri yesterday coz I'm not happy with the side-effects. My Neuro has recommended I try Gilenya and I asked her about high doses of Vitamin D as well. May I ask what you've been diagnosed with (as in RR or Progressive)? And do you take anything to relieve symptoms? Cheers... Jen

Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
    donalda
    (female)

I've been diagnoses with RRMS....and am not on any meds for it...does not mean I don't have lots of exacerbations and discussions with drs who have all said to go on something...I have side effects from all meds and am so scared to start one, but I too, myself along with drs when having exacerbation definitely think of doing it.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
    LBWalker2
    (female)

LBWalker2 HB User

I just appreciate the question alone. I was initially diagiosed with Fibromyalgia but felt it was a cop-out diagnosis because they didn't know what was wrong with me when finally a year or so later I was diagnosed with MS. This was back in 2002. I have had plenty of MRI's as well as have had secondary opinions (my new neurologist said he wouldn't even put me through a spinal tap after seeing my MRI's) however the daily pain I go through I often wonder if fibro wasn't true all along. My GP treats me like I am a hypocondriac (sp) and so I go through constant depression because of pain and feel like my body is breaking down. I don't know who to turn to.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
    donalda
    (female)

Since having MS for so long before Fibro it was easier for me to see one can really have 2 or more diseases...I pretty much learned my MS symptoms and when Fibro came was pretty much typical of what they say..not that my pain can't be from both...so it's not completely clear...but I have an aunt with JUST Fibro and told me I could not have both..even though more than one dr said yes..I can't stand when someone does that...like they know me more than I know myself or diseases..everyone is different and I have since found several people diagnosed with more than one..guess you just learn as much as can which is which. But still myself have to figure out what I am going through sometimes..and both can overlap and also have to deal with skeptics..if they want to take away my diagnosis'...please take away the symptoms too

Closed Thread