It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• scoliosis secondary to multiple sclerosis and arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
    vickiz
    (female)

vickiz HB User
    Unhappy scoliosis secondary to multiple sclerosis and arthritis

Hi. I have had m.s. for nearly 30 years. It mostly affects my right side. I had diffficulty walking, so I developed arthritis in my right knee. Ten years ago, the m.s. combined with my painful arthritic knee put me in a wheelchair. Also, I realized I was leaning to my right side. I am very weak on that side, and now I have a very painful scoliosis (s-curve). I googled m.s./scoliosis, and it led me to this website. I saw someone else suffers from the same thing. I have talked to the M.S. Foundation and noone could tell me anything about scoliosis. But it makes perfect sense. I'm weak on the side I am leaning towards. So, now, where is that fellow sufferer, and what are you doing about it. I want spine surgery, but I haven''t found any doctor willing to do it. Thanks for any useful advice, Vicki

The following user gives a hug of support to vickiz:
    puffer123 (09-30-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: scoliosis secondary to multiple sclerosis and arthritis

Hi Vicki.
    im not the person you are looking for, but I wanted to welcome you to the boards and thank you for sharing with us. Knowing what I do about scoliosis, have you considered PT ?

Scoliosis as you know is a curvature of the spine, it normally does not develope FROM MS, its usually a birth defect which is usually caught and corrected in our early years; however having developed it from extreme arthritis does make sense.

PT might teach you how to ambulate and straighten without using your stronger side as much, thus helping to correct the overture of the scoliosis. Spinal surgery is a long, painful recovery and not without its own risks, have you tried any less invasive procedures to date?

I wish you the best and hope you will come back and share with us!
    Nikki

Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome.

I had the same problem as you, but mainly on my left side. As my right side was trying to compensate for the left side weakness, my right side was slowly exhausted and eventually I was teetering left. I used forearm crutches for over two years, but eventually my left side got better and my right side recovered.

I still have left side weakness and I still have my forearm crutches on standby. I have reverted to my power chair on occasion. The battle you are waging does not have to be lost.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    vickiz (08-22-2011)
    Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickiz View Post
    I have talked to the M.S. Foundation and noone could tell me anything about scoliosis.
    Hello Vickiz,

The reason no one could tell you anything is because Scoliosis is not secondary to MS nor is it related to MS. You would be dealing with 2 different diagnosis...Scoliosis and MS.

Scoliosis is curvature of the vertebrae (spinal column) and MS affects the Central Nervous System which includes the brain, optic nerves and the spinal cord

The spinal column protects the spinal cord.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
    vickiz
    (female)

vickiz HB User

I know what scoliosis is. But it is definitely because I have MS. My right side is weak and I have ben leaning that way for 10 years, and it keeps getting worse. My neurologist agrees that it has been caused by having MS.

Closed Thread