It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Chocolate- mmmmmmmM!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Chocolate- mmmmmmmM!

I use chocolate- dark chocolate- to battle pain which presents in a certain part of my brain. It works quite well for me and the pain disappears quite quickly. Yesterday I had this pain twice in one day which is rare. Still, each time the pain hit, the dark chocolate was 100% effective- for me- in melting the pain.

I read of a recent study in Italy using chocolate to combat dementia and to slow down Alzheimer's. Though the study is still inconclusive, the initial results have been quite promising. Knowledge is important and I always encourage others to read and learn because it is a lifelong pursuit. If we do not use our brain, we will in fact lose it. The saying 'use it or lose it' applies to muscles and brain both!

Now I do not have dementia nor Alzheimer's, but I will keep using it for my MS pain!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
    deb1125
    (female)

deb1125 HB Userdeb1125 HB User
    Re: Chocolate- mmmmmmmM!

If you don't mind me asking, what you are saying dark chocolate for head pain? Any?
    Thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I started using dark chocolate after reading a study from Oklahoma regarding dark chocolate and Dr. Pepper and MSers.

I found that for me, the dark chocolate relieves my MS caused head pain when that pain is located at the back of my skull. I use Diet Dr. Pepper and it works for the MS pain that presents in the center to top of my skull. These have worked for me. Both work in specific parts for specific pain.

The Italian study dealt with the overall effect/benefit of chocolate. For me, I have found only the specific pain relief.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    deb1125 (08-15-2012)
    Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

There is a logical explanation why dark chocolate over any other kind of chocolate would help with headaches. High levels of polyphenols are found in dark chocolate (more than any other kind of chocolate)- when consumed, these release serotonin in the brain which blocks the headaches.

Dr Pepper, either diet or regular, is very high in caffeine. Caffeine has been known for years to help with headaches and is the active ingrediant in many over the counter pain medications specifically aimed at migrane headaches.

Taking one or both of these, would be an effective way to reduce a headache.

Interestingly, dark chocolate and plyphenols are actually energy boosters as well and have been studied with relationship to fatigue- so again a MSer can benefit from ingesting the dark cocoa.

A warning should come with this good news though- for those who are watching their sugars due to diabetes or yeast issues- both Dr Pepper and Dark chocolate have high levels of dangerous sugars, which can cause issues for those trying to maintain a sugar free or gluten free diet. Even Diet Dr Pepper has natural sugars which are NOT approved for a diabetic. For those with weight issues, both are extremely high in calories and for those MSers who are not getting enough exercise due to the disease causing inactivity- ingesting these two regularly could lead to serious health issues and weight concerns.

the fact that it works is kind of a no-brainer; for years doctors have suggested caffeine for both energy (think energy drinks) and for headaches; however the flip side is the sugar, calories and artificial colors which are added and the health concerns these may cause.

Nikki

Closed Thread