It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Can anyone relate to any of this??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
    Mumof10
    (female)

Mumof10 HB User
    Unhappy Can anyone relate to any of this??

October 23rd, 2012: (NZ time) 5 – 8pm Extreme cramping of toes in both feet but particularly left foot. Feet feel icy on the inside. The cramps come in bouts. When they’re happening I can barely walk, I stand funny and rock around trying to find a position to make it stop. When the bout is over I can walk again but with the sensation of ‘almost cramp’ constantly. The slightest wrong move and my toes would cramp up again. By 8pm I had no more cramp. Just a slightly crampy feeling remained but wriggling my toes didn’t set it off anymore.

8.15pm Relaxed on couch reading to my children. Noticed a tender patch of skin on the left side of my face, just above the jaw line. Then I developed numbness on the left side of my face only. Forehead, nose, lower part of cheek, lips, and jaw. Then I felt a vibrating/trembling feeling through the left side of my nose and lip/lower cheek area. I was sure it would be noticeable but my children couldn’t see it.

8.30 Went to the computer to start typing up these strange symptoms but suddenly had the most urgent need to move my bowels that I’ve ever had in my life. Literally ran to the loo and lost everything in 2 seconds flat. Not diarrhea….just totally no bowel control. Began slight shakes after that for about half an hour.

9.45pm Crampy pain in left arm and left leg up to the knee. Still have tender skin on left side of face which has spread up to my cheek but not really numb anymore. Also the same tender skin on underside of left forearm.

The loss of bowel control has got me a bit worried. I've never experience an urgency like that before. My diet hasn't changed. I don't have diarrhea. I usually go regularly and normally once or twice a day. I'm not sick in my stomach, so what on earth is going on with me?
    Any ideas....anyone??

The following user gives a hug of support to Mumof10:
    princesst (10-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can anyone relate to any of this??

Hi. I do have a pretty good guess, but please dont be offended. I believe you are suffering from extreme anxiety. It would bring on symptoms exactly like you have been describing all along.

First of all, STOP looking up symtoms. Thats a big part of what is going on here.... you need to see a physician and allow them to do what they do- and stop looking things up. When you use symptom checkers, the most commonly looked up symptoms always go to the top of the list, explaining why MS is the most commonly researched disease AND why almost everyone thinks they have it, when in reality only 5% of people who are convinced they have it, actually do.

The bowel movements- if it isnt diarrhea, then there is no reason for an instant need to go to the bathroom to relieve oneself.....unless its nerve related. MS certainly doesnt do that to you. Instead, it can do the exact opposite- bind you up to where constipation is a common occurance in MS patients. The need to pee, is highly found in MSers. Quite the opposite of what you stated.

There are so many things that you mention over the course of a few weeks that anxiety is a serious illness which I believe you need to discuss with your doctors. The numbness and muscle aches which you experience are so random all over your body- that by now - if MS was a possiblity, one of your tests would have shown something. WHen is the last MRI you had and when is your next doctor appointment?

I really wish you would stay off the computer symptom checker...and focus more on ignoring these symptoms and letting your doctor do the correct testing. If you are unhappy with the process of your doctor, then seek a new one- ask for a referral elsewhere- but if you dont start to relax and attempt to manage this, rather than allowing it to control you- you are going to go mad! I feel very badly for you. Every single post you put here is more of the same without any answers. BUT, your symptoms are sounding less and less like MS to me (my opinion, Im not a doctor) and very highly anxious.....

Please investigate whether anxiety could be causing these problems...its a very real disease. Anxiety is "not" all in your head- but can cause the body to respond exactly as yours is....talk to your doctor about it.

Nikki

Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
    Mumof10
    (female)

Mumof10 HB User

Well thanks anyway. Now I feel more alone with this than ever but I'll take your advice and stay off the computer altogether. I have only had one mri 8 days ago and have heard nothing. I have my follow up appt with a hospital physician in 6 more days. I'm not focussing on symptoms....just taking someones advice and keeping a journal of them. I just posted tonights stuff on here because I thought someone might be interested. I was so wrong. I'm sorry for offending. God bless....Seeya!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Mumof10
    princesst (10-23-2012),Terri5176 (10-23-2012),Yolanda72 (10-25-2012)
    Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
    princesst
    Inactive
    (female)

princesst HB User

Don't leave. There are negative nancy folks throughout the world who think they are more all knowing than they are. When there are things going on its difficult to wait on doctors and I have seen enough in my life and on this site to remind me that doctors are humans. There are lots who make mistakes. My doc did an MRI that was clean and wrote in the notes to my primary care doc that he suspected ms. They never told me. 7 years later I have a relapse and now my lesions are innumerable. Had he told me that he suspected ms--I would have gotten a follow up in the non symptom years and could have started treatments earlier (which is beneficial and proven that the earlier you start treating the better your outcome). I don't say that to say not to listen to docs but rather that I suspected ms and wish I had been more diligent doing research as might be in a different place right now.

You do have to be careful and take a balanced approach. There is evidence that symptom readers can develop symptoms. No doubt about that either. No one will care about solving your health problems more than you though.

Anxiety can be crippling. It can be a disease cause or a symptom. So breathe. Keep sharing out here as there are lots if folks with ideas and less judging in their approach.

Hugz.

The Following User Says Thank You to princesst For This Useful Post:
    Whimpurr (11-29-2012)
    Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mumof10 View Post
    October 23rd, 2012: (NZ time) 5 – 8pm Extreme cramping of toes in both feet but particularly left foot. Feet feel icy on the inside. The cramps come in bouts. When they’re happening I can barely walk, I stand funny and rock around trying to find a position to make it stop. When the bout is over I can walk again but with the sensation of ‘almost cramp’ constantly. The slightest wrong move and my toes would cramp up again. By 8pm I had no more cramp. Just a slightly crampy feeling remained but wriggling my toes didn’t set it off anymore.

8.15pm Relaxed on couch reading to my children. Noticed a tender patch of skin on the left side of my face, just above the jaw line. Then I developed numbness on the left side of my face only. Forehead, nose, lower part of cheek, lips, and jaw. Then I felt a vibrating/trembling feeling through the left side of my nose and lip/lower cheek area. I was sure it would be noticeable but my children couldn’t see it.

8.30 Went to the computer to start typing up these strange symptoms but suddenly had the most urgent need to move my bowels that I’ve ever had in my life. Literally ran to the loo and lost everything in 2 seconds flat. Not diarrhea….just totally no bowel control. Began slight shakes after that for about half an hour.

9.45pm Crampy pain in left arm and left leg up to the knee. Still have tender skin on left side of face which has spread up to my cheek but not really numb anymore. Also the same tender skin on underside of left forearm.

The loss of bowel control has got me a bit worried. I've never experience an urgency like that before. My diet hasn't changed. I don't have diarrhea. I usually go regularly and normally once or twice a day. I'm not sick in my stomach, so what on earth is going on with me?
    Any ideas....anyone??
    These can be anxiety related OR stress related. If you have MS, stress or anxiety can trigger symptoms because your body is literally under attack. With any attack, your body, in a weakened state, will experience failures at weak points throughout the body.

I do not think you need to avoid the internet. I think you can learn much and gain support by hanging out at sites like this and avoiding those sites which offer you hints, clues, and self-diagnosis. When your body is under attack, your mind is left open to suggestions and people tend to try things to get better. What you need to do is to take a breath and observe. Something is triggering your problems and you have to wear the detective hat. Keep a journal and you can develop your own personal case file. Look for events or activities or foods or smells.....that preceded your symptom presentation.

For me, bowel and bladder frequency increases when I am headed for a crash. I use these as signals to "buck up" and I take the time to stop, rest, and recover. I realize that as you have young children that this can be difficult. I found that my three year old (at the time) was just as happy that I could read to him in my own bed or that Thomas the Tank Engine could still explore while atop my bed. You might need to make adjustments, but I think you can.

As to the cramping, this could be issues with calcium and magnesium or with hydration. I stay well hydrated throughout the day and I stretch stretch stretch and then stretch some more!

As to the facial numbness, I get it constantly with my MS. I call it Droopy Face after the cartoon dog. My neuro told me to look in the mirror and smile and observe. If your smile is drooping on one side, it means there is some paralysis affecting your facial muscles. There have been a few times when this has affected my eating, but for the most part, like my MS Hug, it is just an annoyance!

I hope you stick around because you are not alone. If you need some support, we are here. Knowing that you are not alone is good medicine to me!!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    Whimpurr (11-29-2012),Yolanda72 (10-25-2012)
    Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Mumof10,
    I apologize if you feel that I offended you. I never suggested you leave- OR not look at the internet. I did suggest that you stop using symptom checkers. This is probably the single worst thing you can attempt to do for yourself is "look up your symptoms". You stated that you did this...
    People have commented on other threads that you sound anxious and here, on this thread, it has also been pointed out that anxiety and stress can present with MS like symptoms. As a person who has lived with MS for quite a few years and has many issues of my own, I know only too well how stress and anxiety can esclate symptoms and actually manufacture symptoms which arent really happening. This is my personal experience, and in no way am I suggesting that Im giving you any type of diagnosis. I do think its worthy of you speaking to your doctor about the random pains and numbness- and its worth inquiring if anxiety could be the culprit.
    Im sorry if you felt that you were alone. That is not a good feeling and it wasnt my intent to leave you feeling that way. My suggestion to stop symptom checking comes from a place of knowing what happens when we, the patients, start telling ourselves that we have diseases, which no professional has diagnosed. I also know how doctors react when you tell them "I looked this up and it said..." Its been my experience that doctors do not take those comments well.
    I hope you feel better soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
    princesst (10-24-2012)
    Closed Thread