It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Any home remedies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
    Daphnieh
    (female)

Daphnieh HB User
    Any home remedies?

Good Afternoon!
    I am having a bit of a relapse again with dizziness /balance issues as the primary issue. Does anyone have any good home remedies for this? I am using Dramamine, I have tried some natural oils, had a course of steroids last week, so far it is a bit improved but not enough. My main concern is driving to work. I have only missed 1 day so far but my boss is not very understanding when I look perfectly fine. It is just really hard when you don't know how long this silly stuff will last!
    On a good note I saw my neuro last week. She decided to go ahead and do an MRI since this is 2 relapses in 6 months. Stable scan! No need to change meds. I am very Thankful for that news!

The following user gives a hug of support to Daphnieh:
    yalwayssick (08-06-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: Any home remedies?

Daphnieh,

Remedies really depend upon the trigger. I can experience dizziness and balance issues which can really vary in the trigger. When my eyes are the cause, it is usually in my peripheral vision. In those cases I maintain a focus ahead of me when driving and I move my head to view the side mirrors.

Balance issues due to MS are not well countered by medication. The Dramamine is good to have for a boat ride, I think. I know that since my MS worsened in 2002, boats are no longer enjoyable.

Your dizziness can also be triggered due to heat. I have had this too, but usually the heat just saps my energy and causes my legs to stop working properly.

Even though you take meds, they do not eliminate attacks or symptoms. If you know what your trigger is, you can get a solution/remedy that works best for you.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

For me, the home remedy I stick with for dizziness and balance issues are to exercise with a balance ball. I sit on it- and do weights with my arms and legs...dumbells for my arms...ankle weights for my legs. ALso, when I type at my computer, I sit on a balance ball, not a chair....building up my core strength is really key to staying balanced...
    2 relapses in six months is not a good thing...how long have you been on your medicatioin? IT should be stablizing you soon....most DMDs start to really work in about 4-6 months...this doesnt guarantee youll be relapse free but, it should slow down the frequency..
    MSNik

Old 08-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
    Daphnieh
    (female)

Daphnieh HB User

Thank you Jayhawk! I am working on figuring out triggers now. It usually hits in the middle of the night and then just stays the same, nothing makes it better nothing makes it worse. I will be sure and track the episodes including activity in the days before so I can figure out whats instigating it.

Nikki
    I like the balance ball idea. I have seen someone at work using one. I think that is worth a try. I will find me one today. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have been on med exactly 6 months. I will see neuro again in December so I am guessing if needed she will make changes then?
    Thanks again to both of you!
    Hope your day is great!
    Daphnie

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Daphnieh,

If it strikes in the middle of the night, do you feel it when you are in bed or when you get up? Until my feet and legs are fully ready, I weave and stumble in the morning. I uses leg stretches to help me prepare and I give myself up to 2 hours before leaving the house.

If the problem is felt in the middle of the night, I would look back and review the 24 hours prior and if needed additional prior activities. If you have pushed past your "red line" and over-done something, this can be a trigger. moderation and rest would help. You might even look at your foods in case you eat or have eaten an inflammatory item. Tomatoes are supposed to be inflammatory, but they do not bother me. For me, processed meats and red meats, as well as dark meat of chicken or turkey are inflammatory. I simply eliminated them completely. Within your journal you might track your diet along with activities and the weather too. I think that eventually you will find one or even two or more triggers.

You might also watch your body for signals. That is, when I start to approach my "red line", my body presents clear signals which I can ignore and "enjoy" an attack, or intervene and avoid the worst.

Good luck sleuthing. You really cannot discount any one item and your triggers can come from many sources. You can do it!!

Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Daphnieh,
    Yes If you have been on med exactly six months, the next visit will probably determine if your doctor will allow you to remain on the drug. Most will give it a full year. But even during the next six months, youll know if the relapses slow down.
    I hope it continues to work for you! Not having anything new on the MRI is a good sign!
    I love my balance ball. They make videos which you can purchase which are all about core strengthening with it...in fact one series is called Core Strength! They do ab work, arms and legs, balance.....look for them online.
    Best to you.
    Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    Daphnieh (08-07-2014)
    Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
    Daphnieh
    (female)

Daphnieh HB User

When it hits in the night I have it regardless of my position. In bed, standing, sitting, it is just a constant. Thank you for the food info. I hadn't considered that but I am going to do some elimination and see what happens. I myself have never had a tomato problem either but this is interesting as it is tomato season here in Texas. We literally eat them with every meal when they are fresh out of the garden. Thanks for all the insight. It is a big help!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Daphnieh,

As you are down in Texas, I have to wonder if the heat is not hitting you too. When I have had pains in the middle of the night, it has usually been a seasonal trigger which I have to use my heating pad. I also have non-seasonal pain in the night which requires stretching. I have had to get up at night and stretch.

I think that beef and processed meat elimination can make a difference, but you need to allow your body time to make a difference. It may take a few months to make a difference, but if the red meat is triggering an issue, the difference will come.

My brother is down in Texas and his secretary has MS. Each summer she has to take leave because of the effects of heat. This has been happening for 13 years, but she is still working. When I was down in Texas outside of Houston, the heat was something that I did not like, but it was not until 2002 that it became a real issue.

As long as tomatoes are your friend, enjoy!! I am growing Indigo Rose tomatoes this year. They are purple with a spot of red when they are ripe. They are sweet but not acidic. They do really well in hot weather. The purple is from the DNA of blueberries and the result is the nutritional benefits of blueberries and tomatoes.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    Daphnieh (08-07-2014)
    Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
    Elliot Florida
    Inactive
    (male)

Elliot Florida HB UserElliot Florida HB User

Balance has been a persistent problem for me. I do about 1/2 hour of head and eye movement exercises daily and am slowly improving.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elliot Florida For This Useful Post:
    Daphnieh (08-17-2014)
    Closed Thread