It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Quinoa?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User
    Quinoa?

I'm wondering what people's experience is with eating quinoa? It's supposed to be good for people with MS but I'm not a fan! It causes me to lose control of my bowels (sorry for the over-share) but I'm wondering if other people have also experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: Quinoa?

sunshine149,

Whenever someone claims something is good for MSers, ask them why? Most are simply trying to sell you something or are repeating the claim of a claim of a claim.........

Your diet, like with any non-MSer should be balanced, BUT do not steal your joys. Eat in moderation and avoid inflammatory foods. Inflammation can cause you problems, but which foods cause you problems is something unique to you. Known inflammatory foods include red meat, dark fowl, and processed meats. Some people have problems with tomatoes- I do not. I avoid the aforementioned meats and they have been out of my diet since 2002. There are other foods I avoid due to swallowing issues.

If you increase your fiber or proteins or other balance of intake, your body can react in ways you do not like nor welcome. For me, fiber, while important, can cause problems. When I have stress start to build, my bowel frequency increases with or without fiber. If you are having a problem with Quinoa, eliminate it and see if things return to normal. You can also try to add it in smaller amounts to your diet, but again, you may need to eliminate it from your diet.

If you journal your symptoms, add a column for your diet. Note the foods you eat and what if any problems you developed over the next 24-36 hours. You should be able to develop a dietary intake which works for you and as long as you consume in moderation, enjoy your life.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

thanks!! you always have great things to share

Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Sunshine, I just posted about MS and diet. not sure if you saw it...there have been some recent studies done which state that there is no MS diet which does anything other than possibly decrease fatigue- and that was based on eliminating saturated fats and limiting red meats. Which stands to reason if you understand how fats clog your arteries and make you sluggish!
    Quinoa is a very good food for fiber. I, need extra fiber in my diet and eat it about once a week...however, if you cant tolerate it. Either you need to work up to eating a full serving slowly, or eliminate it altogether! There are plenty of other ways to get fiber! Even an apple a day can help.
    Youll need to play around to find what works for you and what to avoid; however the fact that Quinoa affects your bowels has nothing to do with MS and possibly everything to do with your overall diet...
    There are no "good" MS foods, but there are certainly foods which give you vitamins, supplements and other things which are good in general for everyone.
    MSNik

Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
    Elliot Florida
    Inactive
    (male)

Elliot Florida HB UserElliot Florida HB User

There is mounting evidence that wheat and similar foods like Quinoa are not as healthy as we have been lead to believe and that fat in red meat (100% grass fed meats and certain wild caught fish) is a lot healthier than we have been lead to believe.

I have been on a high fat diet (basically only eating 100% grass fed meats, wild caught seafood/fish and deep greens) since June and have been doing extremely well, better than at any time in my life. My blood work (I have had it done twice since I started) confirms how well I am feeling/doing.

The reason fat it good for you (from 100% grass fed meats and wild caught fish like salmon, tuna and sardines) is that the meat contains EFAs (essential fatty acids) that are well, essential. The fact is that our bodies needs them. Like certain vitamins, EFAs are needed for good health. Fat is a fuel that also gives the body tremendous energy. Just like gasoline fuels a car, fat fuels the human body and may be the perfect fuel for the human body for optimal health (again, only 100% grass fed meats), possibly as nature intended.

Last edited by Elliot Florida; 12-15-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Closed Thread