It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board

• Falling...Always a Bummer!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
    michigani
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
    Angry Falling...Always a Bummer!

Had a fall last night in my kitchen. I didn't get hurt....just my pride and my confidence. And what a mess! I was getting the coffee pot ready for morning like I do every evening. I turned with a glass carafe which was half full of cold coffee and blam! my knee buckled and I was going down. As always it seemed to happen in slow motion but once it starts there's no stopping it! The carafe shattered all over the floor splattering glass and coffee across the kitchen . My wife and daughter graciously cleaned it up. I felt guilty but they told me not to.

Anyone else experience that awful slow-motion "oh no I'm going down" feeling? And also that shaky, lack of confidence I always have for a day or two after a fall?

Luckily I didn't get hurt at all. I just kind of crumpled straight down. My worst experience to date was when I fell down in the parking lot at a home improvement store one morning this past Spring. Right in the drive between the parking lot and the store. I was humiliated and terrified. A big worker guy ran over and lifted me up. Now I NEVER go to a store alone unless they have cart corals were I can grab a cart. If not, I don't go anywhere without my wife, daughter or a friend.

Feel free to vent and share your own horror stories here.....

And stay upright!

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
    kew17
    (female)

kew17 HB User
    Cool Re: Falling...Always a Bummer!

Oh Mark!
    I do hope that you are ok! Falls can be nasty. I've got many a story to tell. I do so relate to that slow motion effect you describe! I also feel like one of those building demolitions they show on TV, falling all into a little pile. My worst fall was when getting up from the portable potty chair in the bathroom. I fell forward head first onto the tiled tub enclosure. My face was a greenish purple for several days...not pretty. And I agree that my pride was in worse shape than my body. It's tough.
    I hope you are doing better. As always, I enjoy reading your posts!
    kew
    -

Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
    SHANTACLARE61
    (female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User
    Re: Falling...Always a Bummer!

:oSo sorry to hear about your fall, thank goodness someone was there to help you clean up the glass and all. I do know what you mean about the slow motion thing. Last summer before I was diagnosed I was walking at an outside resturant and tripped over a 1 inch raise in the sidewalk and fell. I was not hurt but sooo embarrassed. I looked around at the people who saw me fall and there was a table of two women laughing. And replaying my fall in my head over and over again trying to figure out why I couldn't catch myself I realized how funny I must have looked. ( It was still rude of them to laugh at me though) Needless to say I've since figured out why I can't catch myself when I trip. P.S. I really benifited and gained alot of knowledge from reading yours and others old posts on this forum. Thanks, Mary

Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
    Madalot
    (female)

Madalot HB User

Hey Mark!

So sorry about your fall, but so glad you weren't hurt. Falling does seem to be one of the nasty consequences of having MD, doesn't it? After having several nasty falls in the last few years, my main daily goal is to NOT fall down. And in that regard, I've been okay for a while now. A lot of close calls -- a LOT, but so far I've managed to stop the fall somehow, thank goodness. It seems that when I do fall down, I always pull muscles (ouch!) and they hurt for weeks afterwards. It also seems that after a fall, I have the "shakes" for several days, probably out of fear of falling again.

I'm still resisting using my powerchair in the house on a regular basis -- I think it's denial. But I think the day is coming when I will be forced to stay in the chair most of the time, especially when I'm home alone. But I'm putting that day off as long as I can.

Anyway -- I'm glad you're okay.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
    Broxy
    (female)

Broxy HB User

Hi Mark hope you're ok and everyone else
    I get that slow motion feeling too when i fall its like "ahhh i cant stop this" and the ground just seems to get closer then slam your down. I tend to replay the fall in my head too a lot like how did that happen one minute im standing then im gone, it does shake you up and it last for days and your confidence just goes, wherever i am i just want to get home if i've fallen. I remember one time i fell this guy was trying to pull me up and i was saying just leave me i'll get up my own way ( i need something to push up on) and he didn't understand so i had to explain.
    One other thing i hate the most is sometimes im on my own outside just in the garden or street and i fall and there is nothing about to help me get up so i struggle on my own and im wondering whos watching thinking is this person drunk, it must be some site wobbling about. I try and have someone with me always but you never know when you're going to fall or even trip ( i cant save myself) its so unexpected.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #6
    carebear2407
    (female)

carebear2407 HB User

Hey Mark

Tell me about it!!!! For me its one of the worst things about having MD!

I have lost count of the amount of times ive fallen. This year alone has been a bad year as ive managed to break 2 bones in my right foot (first one in Feb and 2nd one 6 weeks ago!) which simply happened when I has out shopping (I use a stick to get about and when im really bad I use my chair (which i hate!). I know what you mean about the "slow motion" feeling when falling - its sooooooooo weird because my mum says that I go down like a ton of bricks

When I fall, my legs shake really badly, so much so that I have to sit there for a while (which seems like hours!) until they stop shaking abit so that i can then get up (with help). I dont like going out on my own anymore incase i fall. I personally would be very down/depressed after a fall as it does knock your confidence (im on anti-depressents now). My legs are soooo weak now that I use my chair alot more than id like to

Im glad you didnt get hurt.

Claire xx

Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
    michigani
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

My biggest fear is getting hurt. If I ever break something like an arm, leg or even a finger I would be in big trouble! I need both arms and both legs to get through the day. My wife and daughters can't lift me. I would deteriorate rapidly. So that's always my greatest fear.

Besides getting hurt the worst part for me after a fall is getting up. People don't understand that they can't just start yanking on me. I can't push up at all. I have no quadriceps anymore. I must be lifted high enough to get my feet under me and my knees locked. But usually I'm shaking so bad my knees won't hold me for several minutes!!!

The other night after my fall, I crawled into the living room, crawled up onto the sofa and worked my way upright from there. Just imagine one of those giant sea turtles trying to get up onto your sofa. That's how I felt and that's how I probably looked! Good grief!!!

Stay safe everybody and Merry Christmas!

Mark

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
    kew17
    (female)

kew17 HB User

Giant Sea Turtle...that's hilarious! I was trying on new pants on time and went to sit on the bed and leaned back too far and landed on my back on the bed and couldn't get up. I didn't have the strength to roll to either side or lift back to the sitting position. I WAS STUCK! I somehow got my then 3 year old to get the phone to me and had to call for help. To this day, my mother teases me about my "turtle" incident.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
    Kew

Closed Thread