It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Dark Line on Thumbnail

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
    TT13
    (male)

TT13 HB User
    Dark Line on Thumbnail

Hi. I am of Asian (Indian) origin, and a doctor colleague of mine noticed a thin very light greyish line on my thumbnail which he said could differentially be subungual melanoma.

I am visiting my GP about this tomorrow but I am likely to be referred by him to a dermatologist only weeks later. So I would like to know from anyone here who might know what the chances are of it being malignant.

I am 31 years old, male. I am dark-skinned. I have just the one line running longitudinally on my right thumbnail. It is continuous (no breaks) and on very close inspection looks like two 1 mm lines running in parallel from the free end of my nail to the upper part of the white half-moon portion at the proximal end of the nail bed. So it does NOT disappear under the proximal skin fold. The dark line is 2 mm in width.

I am not sure how long I've had this, but I know it's been months at the very least. I understand this is longitudinal melanonychia?

Extremely anxious. Would appreciate a response please asap! Much appreciated.

I should mention that I THINK I had some trauma to the nail a good while back (at least a year or more ago).

Last edited by TT13; 07-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
    Rani786
    (female)

Rani786 HB User
    Re: Dark Line on Thumbnail

Hi - did u find out what this was ?...I am concerned of the exact same thing !...light dark streak in middle of thumb only since 3mnths from top of nail to the bottom past the cuticle

Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
    Marv555
    (female)

Marv555 HB User
    Re: Dark Line on Thumbnail

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TT13 View Post
    Hi. I am of Asian (Indian) origin, and a doctor colleague of mine noticed a thin very light greyish line on my thumbnail which he said could differentially be subungual melanoma.

I am visiting my GP about this tomorrow but I am likely to be referred by him to a dermatologist only weeks later. So I would like to know from anyone here who might know what the chances are of it being malignant.

I am 31 years old, male. I am dark-skinned. I have just the one line running longitudinally on my right thumbnail. It is continuous (no breaks) and on very close inspection looks like two 1 mm lines running in parallel from the free end of my nail to the upper part of the white half-moon portion at the proximal end of the nail bed. So it does NOT disappear under the proximal skin fold. The dark line is 2 mm in width.

I am not sure how long I've had this, but I know it's been months at the very least. I understand this is longitudinal melanonychia?

Extremely anxious. Would appreciate a response please asap! Much appreciated.

I should mention that I THINK I had some trauma to the nail a good while back (at least a year or more ago).
    Yes have it checked out ASAP.. don't delay. ..but it is true too that trauma can linger for a long time

Reply Reply