It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Ripped off toenail - or did I?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
    AmieSays
    (female)

AmieSays HB User
    Ripped off toenail - or did I?

Three weeks back I hit my big toenail on a board in the yard and THOUGHT I had ripped it completely off. The whole toenail or what I thought was the whole toenail, was hanging by one little thread on the side and the nail bed was a bloody mess. I pulled it all the way off and followed directions I found online for taking care of it; soaking in salt water, putting on antibiotic ointment, and keeping it bandaged. I've lost toenails before, but this was the first time I've had one ripped off. It didn't seem to be healing the way they usually do. Now that I can touch it, I believe that only the top layers of the nail plate were ripped off, leaving a thin lower layer of plate still on the nail bed.

There is definitely nail covering part of my nail bed. It's hard and there is dried blood underneath it. The part growing out of the matrix is thicker than the part still attached to the nail bed.

Is this even possible? I know that nail plates have three layers, so I'm just wondering if only two layers can be separated by an injury and the bottom layer left intact. I'm not complaining, because at least I know it will grow back out, but what should I be doing to it now? Should I still be soaking it and applying antibiotic ointment? I've been putting coconut oil on it as an anti-fungal, and see no signs of fungus infection yet.

TIA

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply