It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Separation of nail from base ... nail loss :(

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
    hrgreen
    (female)

hrgreen HB User
    Separation of nail from base ... nail loss :(

This past summer, my thumb nail started to separate from the cuticle. Parts of the nail near the base started crumbling off, moving upward from the cuticle toward the distal end of the nail. The whole nail ended up falling off and the new one growing back looked kind of scary for a while-- it was bumpy and rather indented. It did end up growing back normal though when all the sudden done. I saw three dermatologists who did cultures of the nail and said it wasn't fungal or bacterial. I've had blood tests and nothing weird showed up.

I now am having the same thing happening to my middle finger. The nail is again separating from the base. The distal end of the nail appears thicker because the nail base is crumbling, pealing off, rough, and indented.

This might be unrelated but my right toenail that is a foggy, white color along the side of the nail. The edge feels a bit thicker, and the toe keeps feeling rather numb.

I've seen a lot of dermatologists and no one seems to know what's going on. This is really bothering me. It's frustrating too because the rat of my nails are longer, and stronger than ever. I eat a well balanced diet and do take vitamins (esp biotin) so I don't get what's wrong with me. If anyone has had a similar situation or any idea as to what this is, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
    Marv555
    (female)

Marv555 HB User
    Re: Separation of nail from base ... nail loss :(

Balance if calcium magnesium potassium could be off. ...vitamin B and zinc deficiency for your nails. Girlfriend's nail has fungal infection...go to doctor ASAP as it is affected ting nerves in area.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
    Mariabbbb
    (female)

Mariabbbb HB User
    Re: Separation of nail from base ... nail loss :(

Hi,

I have this on all of my fingers. I looked it up and its called Onycholysis. I'm not sure how this happened, but it's strange that I have it on all fingers. According to what I read you should trim your nails short and try to keep your hands dry. There are some physical causes of this, including hyperthyroid and hypothyroid (which I have). It just seems strange that I've always had strong healthy nails and now every one of them is separating.

Reply Reply