It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Toenail fell off, unsure if it can grow back?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-01-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
    zer0prime

zer0prime HB User
    Toenail fell off, unsure if it can grow back?

Not quite a month ago, there was an "incident" (haha) in which i dropped an electric sander on my big toe. Around a week and a half later, the toenail fell off. That alone was cause for some distress, as this hasn't happened to me before, but now I'm concerned on whether or not it can grow back.

At the base of the section where the nail would be, there is a "bump" that spans horizontally across the nailbed. I used to be able to push it down with ease but it's hardened a bit and now it takes a lot of effort to push it down...

Will this hinder, or even stop the growth of my toenail? it comes up far enough that gives me cause to think that a toenail couldn't grow over it...

Also in addition, the skin where my toenail used to be is hardened as well, which doesn't seem normal and is kind of concerning.

I didn't post a picture because, well, it's pretty gross but if anyone wants to see it then I'll upload one and post a link.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
    52ken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
    Re: Toenail fell off, unsure if it can grow back?

I would go to a podiatrist to be on the safe side. It will give you peace of mind and if there is a problem he can take care of it. I lost a toenail once and it grew back. Yours sounds different so maybe you should get it checked out.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Toenail fell off, unsure if it can grow back?

I do a lot of running and have lost countless toe nails.

They have always grown back but it takes time. Toe nails don't grow fast like fingernails.

Reply Reply