It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail keeps growing back partly detatched

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
    linzo
    (female)

linzo HB User
    Question Nail keeps growing back partly detatched

Around four years ago, my big toenail got bruised (from wearing shoes that were too tight). The bruised area got a bit detached, but a large part of the nail was still attached; so I let it grow out.

Over the years, the toenail keeps growing but it's always growing back partly unattached. It's only attached down one side of the nail and at the bottom (like an L shape). Every time the unattached part grows back, it manages to detach again on its own (even though I've tried to be very careful now with my shoes, etc). Now, right at the bottom (next to the cuticle) it's attached, but then there's a large bump running across the nail (also attached) then the unattached part starts (except the small strip down one side).

There's no foul smell (which from my research tells me that there could fungus etc) but at the last part of the unattached nail at the corner is a bit darker, which I'm guessing is dirt that's collected which I can't reach to clean out. Ew.

Is it time to go to the doctor to get it removed? Or should I try and trim back the dead part of nail and pray that this time around it grows back fully attached (which I haven't tried until now)? What's confusing me is that it is attached running across the bottom of the whole nail, so theoretically speaking the 'new' nail should be fine...

Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    nail