It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Top half of fingernails turning white

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
    Lawry86
    (male)

Lawry86 HB User
    Top half of fingernails turning white

Hello. I am a 32 year old male in over all good health. for months now I have notice that my nails have a wide pale band on the top half so they are no longer pink unless I apply pressure to the nail. The bottom half of the nail is slightly pink. Is this something i should be concerned about? I talked to my GP at the onset and he said it was nothing, but I am not convinced as it seems to be growing downwards. I notice they get very pale in the morning or when its cold and only seem to get pinker when its warm. These aren't Terry's nails as they appear the other way around. My kidney and liver function tests are in perfect condition and my blood work came back good, sept for low neutrophil and haematocrit. I have spoken to 3 doctors so far and none of them knows what exactly is going on. So far, I have found only one post online about someone experiencing the same issue, but he abandoned his post so never got to find out whats was wrong. Not sure if this is related but I have digestive issues and my fingers are slightly clubbed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
    Ihadcancer
    (female)

Ihadcancer HB User
    Re: Top half of fingernails turning white

Clubbed nails usually point to respiratory illness.

Look up Plummer's Nails and if yours match, ask to have your thyroid levels checked.

Diane

Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Top half of fingernails turning white

Dear Lawry,

I just did some research for myself after reading your thread due to my whitish looking fingernails. You may be needing to take Selenium. I read that over 100 mcg a day is too much. Selenium deficiency also causes hair loss, which I have. I am going to buy it today and start taking it for my nails and hair.

I hope this info helps you as well as myself.
    In my experience GP's know nothing or next to nothing about nutrition. They are taught medicine, not nutrition. From over 50 years of experience with doctors I would not discuss nutrition with the best GP's I have. That is just not their area of expertise.

Last edited by yayagirl; 04-14-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Reply Reply