It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail/Finger Infection..

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
    hannah482
    (female)

hannah482 HB User
    Nail/Finger Infection..

Hi everyone! Let's get right to it.

I'm 24 and have quite a childish habit; I bite my nails and chew my fingers. I have since I was about 9 years old. Throughout the years I have gotten infections that almost always cleared on their own. If it was bad, I would soak my finger is warm salt water and let it drain. But this one is sticking with me. It's been about between 2-3 weeks since it's started in my middle finger. I soaked and soaked and about after a week it finally drained some. The swelling went down and it was (seemed to be at least) healing. What was odd was that the skin that swelled kind of peeled off a little, almost like after a sunburn. But after a day or two after draining it was almost to normal size and healing.

Yesterday it got big again, a little bigger than before. I smacked my hand at work (I work in a convince store, very high paced and working with my hands and money) and since then it's been very painful and swollen. It's very sensitive to even air sometimes but I don't think there's any more pus to be drained, it almost seems like it's trapped blood. For the record its hard, but no warmth, and a dark reddish color, almost like a bruise? It's reminds me of a deep blood blister, if that makes sense. It also throbs, and feels achey

Anyway, I'm a tad freaked out and just want to get some opinions on what to do if there is anything to do/if it's actually still an infection or an injury to an already sensitive area or if it's left over blood/yucky from before.

(Side note: my boyfriends dad's girlfriend is a nurse and I'm going to see her in the very near future. I just moved to a different area and have no doctor set up yet so my only option is ER and I'm just covering all ground before going)

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Nail/Finger Infection..

Can you go to a walkin clinic? It sounds like you might need to be on antibiotics and your bf's sister is not going to be able to prescribe them.

You have an infection. In the meantime, I would wear gloves so you dont get it more infected....handling money is dirty business!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
    hannah482
    (female)

hannah482 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Can you go to a walkin clinic? It sounds like you might need to be on antibiotics and your bf's sister is not going to be able to prescribe them.

You have an infection. In the meantime, I would wear gloves so you dont get it more infected....handling money is dirty business!

I have decided I'm going to the ER today, it got a little worse over night and I can't bend my finger all the way when I make a fist (swelling). I'm hoping they drain it to relieve some of this pressure too. Thank you for taking your time to read and reply! I appreciate it!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Hannah. I hope you got good news. Please let us know what the ER said...

Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
    hannah482
    (female)

hannah482 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi Hannah. I hope you got good news. Please let us know what the ER said...
    I went to the ER yesterday and it was very easy! They looked at it and said "yup! That's infected!" And just took the flat side of the scalpel and poked a little drain hole for it. I have to soak it every day 3-5 times a day and it will continue to drain. They have me an antibiotic to take for a week as well. And it's feeling better pressure wise! It's sore and sometimes it's stings but that'll go away. Really gross tho, the only thing that's draining is blood, no pus or anything and it makes me queasy!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That sounds like it hurts. I am glad you got it looked at and that you are on antibiotics. Follow the instructions and you'll be good as new in a few days.

But, think about how you are going to break this habit. Maybe some acrylic nails that you cant chew off? Maybe wearing gloves (like the surgical kind) while you are not using your hands to keep them out of your mouth...you have to break this habit before you do yourself real harm. I know you can fix this.

Thanks for letting us know you are okay.

Reply Reply