It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Can fungus arrest toenail growth? If yes, can treatment restart growth?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
    syracusa

syracusa HB User
    Can fungus arrest toenail growth? If yes, can treatment restart growth?

Last year around March (2017) I suffered some unexplained trauma to the right toenail. The derm took a small sample of the nail tip (there was not much to cut) and it came back "no fungus", just trauma.

I continued to have problems and at some point there was even some puss coming out form under the nail, so I was given some antibacterial liquid (normally used for the eyes) to apply on the nail.

Since the lab found "no fungus" based on the small nail tip analysis, I did not realize trauma could make the nail more susceptible to fungus, even if it wasn't there to begin with.

After a few weeks I noticed the nail starting to thicken, it became clubbed and it stopped growing. Color changed too.

It will soon be a year since it grew at all.

Since this whole thing started in March 2017, I saw 1 derm and 2 podiatrists and neither seemed to know very well what was going on.
    Neither advised me to take specific measures early on to prevent the trauma from turning into fungus.

I recently returned because there has been 0 nail growth in almost a year.

This time the podiatrist took a large sample, he pretty much cutting away more than half the nail from where it had started to crack slightly and detach from the nail bed.

This time it DID come back "fungus". So indeed trauma led to fungus.

I was so mad that this could have been prevented had I been given the correct instructions and had I understood the mechanism.

The drs. say "only time will tell, but it might not grow back".

He offered laser treatment at this point but I chose to go to another office to do this because I was very disappointed with the dr.-patient communication with the two previous podiatrists.
    Both were rather cavalier about the whole thing.

Today I had the laser treatment at another podiatry office on whatever was left of the nail after partial removal (about 15-20%).
    I will also do topical after a week from the laser treatment, will change shoes, spary anti-fungals, change socks, etc. Fight on all fronts.

But at this point my biggest concern is that the nail will never regrow and that the fungus may have already caused irreparable damage to the nail matrix or root.

Could the fungus have permanently destroyed the nail roots/base/matrix -- or whatever is that thing that produces new nail cells that push forward the old nail and make it grow?

One of the podiatrists said that if it didn't grow at all in almost a year, he would be surprised if it ever grew back again.

Any chance that eliminating the fungus through treatment may fix the nail root and allow the toenail to start growing again?
    After all this time of 0 growth?

Or is this unlikely and I will forever be left with only 15% of the toenail?

Thank you so much for any insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can fungus arrest toenail growth? If yes, can treatment restart growth?

Your nail should grow back. Fungus shouldn't prevent it. Nails are made up of Keratin, and the laser didnt destroy that....it may take time, but you should start seeing growth again.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
    dragonflydreams
    (male)

dragonflydreams HB User
    Re: Can fungus arrest toenail growth? If yes, can treatment restart growth?

your toenail should grow back once the fungus is under control... i had fungus in my two big toes for years that left them thick, crumbly and cracked... dosing them twice a day with straight thymol (an ingredient in Vick's Vapor Rub and available as an essential oil at good natural food stores) seemed to keep them from getting really bad compared to some photos i've seen - but never completely eliminated it...

then i finally tried the vinegar soak, which i had never tried because it seemed too simple and i didn't want to smell like vinegar (you don't)... instead of diluting 50% with water as most of the recommendations say, i used straight undiluted vinegar - and to help open the pores in my toes for deeper penetration i heated it to about 120 before i soaked my toes in it for 30 min... i did this for twice a day (morning / evening) for a few months and the results were nothing less than astonishing - but you HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT AND DO IT TWICE A DAY... also i used the cheap white vinegar (2 gallon pack from Costco) and not the more expensive apple-cider vinegar - and i RE-USED the vinegar, filtering it through some cheesecloth before pouring it back into a special bottle i kept it in for my toes... you can use fresh vinegar every time if you want - but it's a waste and not necessary...

there was a time when the skin on around my toes seemed to be drying out, but i just slathered on some lotion and put my socks on and the skin was back to normal in a couple days... keep trimming, sanding/filing and soaking - and if you're patient and consistent - the vinegar will work miracles...

i now keep a couple of gallons of vinegar handy for all kinds of disinfecting jobs, knowing how well it kills entrenched fungus under a toenail...

Last edited by dragonflydreams; 01-26-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Closed Thread