It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• hyponychium injury question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
    Ihadcancer
    (female)

Ihadcancer HB User
    hyponychium injury question

I was over treated for hypothyroidism and spent 5 1/2 months (still not 'normal') very hyperthyroid.

I noticed last night a tender TINY pink line/ tear in the hyponychium under my index finger on my right hand. I'd bumped that finger nail first into a cabinet earlier in the day. I washed and used antibiotic plus a bandaid to keep it close to the skin and prevent discomfort.

For lunch I had an orange and some juice got under my thumb nail on my left hand and really stung. I cleaned it and looked carefully and see the hyponychium is pulled away there in a larger line.

I do wear SMS powder and have my nails done about every 3 weeks. The polish is soaked off each time I have it redone and my nails look pretty good for age 67.

I am wondering if this is from being toxicthyroid but also wondering if I should have all product removed from my nails, have them cut off (I don't wear them long) or just treat the 2 injuries and wait this out while doctor gets me closer to a normal thyroid reading.

Any thoughts appreciated!
    Diane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: hyponychium injury question

Dear Diane,

I don't think that is from being over treated for hypothyroidism, as important as that is to get corrected. (I also am on thyroid.)

Anytime the nail is injured or infected, IMO, it is time to take a break from artificial nails. Let the injuries heal completely. Really we need to take a break from artificial nails from time to time anyway. The fluid used to remove the nails is toxic.

Thyroid imbalance makes it difficult for the body to deal with toxins.

Reply Reply