It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Injured finger, fingernail now turning white.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
    heathers
    (female)

heathers HB User
    Injured finger, fingernail now turning white.

My Great Aunt, slammed her fingertip in the door about 4 weeks ago. They gave her antibiotics, and took an X-ray. Since then it is still hurting, hasn't grown any more, and started turning white. There is a gap between where the cuticle starts, and I would say about a few millimeters from there. Also it's a little red around the nail, on the finger.

So here is what I told her: it could be infected based on the redness. That it may or may not heal depending on the cells that are in the section behind, where the nail grows. It could just need to take more time to heal. I told her she needs to go see the Dr., because of the pain and redness. In case of a infection.

Thanks for any help, and I hope my description was enough so you can visualize it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Injured finger, fingernail now turning white.

Did her doctor give instructions to soak the finger in warm salt water 2 or 3 times a day? It seems to me she should have been doing that or something like that. Was the antibiotic a pill or an injection to the finger?

This reminds me of when I was about 3 or 4 years old and the car door was closed on my thumb. It really hurt but I didn't receive any medical care - nothing was done and it just healed. So amazing now that I think about it.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
    heathers
    (female)

heathers HB User

No apparently they didn't, that's why I told her to soak her finger 2-3 in Epsom salt. Then I came across your website, and was impressed by how replies there were to posts. I thought hey I would give it a try. It was a oral antibiotic.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Being that they took an X-ray, then I assume the doctor knows it's not a broken bone. Antibiotics were given but it's possible it could have become infected weeks later if there's an open sore. It definitely wouldn't hurt to see her doctor again just to make sure.

As far as taking more time to heal, that's possible depending on her age and overall physical condition.

Reply Reply