It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• How to 'Soften' Nails; Regrowth After Big Toe Nail Removal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
    CaliKit
    (female)

CaliKit HB User
    How to 'Soften' Nails; Regrowth After Big Toe Nail Removal

My big toe nail was removed almost 2 years ago. No real complications, but wish the MD hadn't done it. (Live and learn!). Nail is now finally growing back slowly, which I expected, and I finally have what will become my cuticle! (major celebration!!) .

My problem is that the nail regrowth is extremely thick and painfully dry, growing in two vertical 'blobs' (like tiny sausages) of nail material from lunula (half-moon) toward where the nail tip will eventually be. There's what looks to become a huge crack between those two blobs of nail regrowth.

When I sleep at night, that one nail gets painfully dry. I'm massaging a lanolin cream into that toe nail and cuticle 3-4 times a day, hoping that will help.

Is there any way to 'soften' nails? I know everyone wants harder nails, but for me, this one nail maybe splitting (vertically) down the middle.

Any ideas on how to get this nail to grow smoothly, and not so ridged would be greatly appreciated! (Of course, I'm just happy as a clam that's it's growing at all! But I will stick with it until that nail's healthy and smooth again! Can you help me? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Re: How to 'Soften' Nails; Regrowth After Big Toe Nail Removal

Hi CaliKit,

Taking biotin is supposed to aid nail growth, and eating enough protein. Regrowing the nail can seem incredibly slow and they seem to grow even slower in winter but still may grow back over time. Mainly do not pick at the nail, and keep the nails clean, dry and softened, and very gently keep the edges smooth with a sanitized file. No rough filing.

I had a nail fungus develop in my two big toe nails. A year after beginning overthecounter treatment one is now looking and growing normally and the other is lumpy and growing way more slowly. Keep the nails short by soaking the foot, and very gently pushing back the cuticle edge just a little bit, but do not cut or pick at the nail bed. The cuticle keeps bacteria and fungus from getting inside the nail bed. We can aid, but cannot hurry the process.

Only go to beauticians that are Board Certified as they likely will keep their tools, shop and procedures more sanitary. You can do this yourself, though and avoid possibility of unclean tools.

Soak the affected area with a little soap and water daily.
    Towel dry then soften your nails by applying urea cream such as Aluvea or Keralac and wrap your toe or foot or put on freshly clean socks for the night.

Then wash off the urea cream with a soft bristled brush and gently use a tool to push back the cuticle just a bit. A tiny amount of Vicks VapoRub and/or tea tree oil rubbed into the toenail once or twice each day can treat and help prevent fungal infection.

Stay with the treatment plan since toenails grow very slowly and can take over a year to grow out.

Always use disinfected tools on your nails. If you have cured a nail fungus you might need to sanitize your socks and get new shoes. Let us know your progress. I know it is a painfully slow process. Here is some official info -
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/split-fingernails/faq-20058182

Old 11-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I also had my big toe nail removed. I would guess it has been about ten years now since I had it done. I had it removed because that one toe nail looked really bad because of fungus and I didn't want to take medication to cure the fungus.

I would have been satisfied if it didn't grow back but eventually it did start growing back. And, as you have said, the "regrowth is extremely thick" and looks like "blobs". It doesn't look like a normal toe nail at all.

From my experience, because it grew back from two sides, when it meets in the middle, it doesn't know how to fuse into one complete nail. And it doesn't know when to stop growing so it just keeps going and mounds-up into one super blob.

It seems to me that our DNA doesn't have any instructions on how to make two separate growths come together as one and look normal.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
    CaliKit
    (female)

CaliKit HB User

Thanks for the great info, TreeFrog! Iím very patient and totally determined to make this work. I realize now, I was too rough in cleaning the healing toe, brushing off some of those little stringy fibers as the nail was healing. (I guess this is what people mean by 'picking' at the toenail -- which I find totally gross, on the same level as toenail biting, but in this healing context, I get it.)

I'm a high protein/low carb freak, so I'll stick with that. Now have a ton of socks I wash almost constantly. Will buy new shoes -- which I DO need. Thanks for the link, which I found very helpful.

Mostly, I plan to love my feet more (including massaging moisture into the cuticle to get it thinking correctly from a DNA perspective), visualize my perfect nail regularly and quit rushing through everything in my life. You've been very helpful, and I appreciate the great info!

Old 11-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
    CaliKit
    (female)

CaliKit HB User

Thank you, JohnR41! It's good to know my 'healing blobs' are usual -- at least for some of us! I know I run the risk of the nail never healing normally. But I'm glad it's healing at all!!

I'm going to be super-patient, as everyone suggests, and massage the nail and cuticle with a good moisturizer several times a day, keeping things clean, of course. Also, I have a foot leg vibrator to keep up the blood flow to my foot as much as possible. My #1 goal regarding the blobs is that they grow together and not split the nail down the middle.

I know that -- assuming I put only healthy building blocks into my body -- the DNA will duplicate what was there before the surgery, so I just need to keep that in the forefront of my positive mind and persist with my healthy lifestyle.

Thanks again for your help, JohnR!

Old 11-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would see a podiatrist too just to make sure nothing untoward is going on again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    CaliKit (11-03-2019)
    Old 11-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
    CaliKit
    (female)

CaliKit HB User

Good idea, Titchou. But I'll go to a different doctor, not the same one that screwed up my nail in the first place!

Reply Reply

« Nails chipping | - »