It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Weird Nails!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
    Baby_hands
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baby_hands HB User
    Talking Weird Nails!

I had been a nail biter for years! And finally have kicked the habit, my nails are long now, but.....the white part is all weird. It looks like its clear with white patches, whereas it should be ALL white. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
    jbelle1

jbelle1 HB User
    Re: Weird Nails!

I have the same problem so i usually paint on a french tip. I have tried the white pencils for under the nail but i never got great results. I don't know what causes this though

Old 01-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
    FaerieStars

FaerieStars HB User

That happens to me sometimes. I see that it disapears in a few days usually, but my nails are rarely that long to really notice!

Old 01-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baby_hands
    I had been a nail biter for years! And finally have kicked the habit, my nails are long now, but.....the white part is all weird. It looks like its clear with white patches, whereas it should be ALL white. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    In all actuality, it cannot be 'fixed'. The white half-moon at the base of the nail is actually the leading edge of the matrix - the portion of the nail unit where the nail plate cells are 'born'. When the body produces these cells, they are usually round, plump and filled with an inner material. As they grow forward toward the free edge, they lose their inner material, become flat, hard and translucent. As they grow into 'free edge' and are no longer attached to the nail bed, they lose their source of the 'pink' color from the nail bed and look more white than pink. Some persons free edge is more white than others, but this is normal as well.

Your matrix may not be producing enough 'normal' nail plate cells due to the trauma of your nail biting habit. They may not be losing their inner material, or they may not have had any inner material as they were being produced. This would make for an uneven coloration in the half-moon.

Closed Thread