It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail problems... related to rubber gloves?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
    thewind

thewind HB User
    Nail problems... related to rubber gloves?

The ends of my nails, the whites, have looked more white the past few months or so. They look a "dingy" white, even though I think I keep them clean enough. I wear rubber gloves to wash dishes. I was wondering if that can cause a fungal or yeast infection? I usually have always kept my nails short, but a few times I let them grow past my finger tips to a semi-long length, and combined with wearing gloves, I thought maybe that might have been a bad idea? Well, I just don't think this extra whiteness looks "clean", sometimes in really bright light I think I notice a very light yellowish color (VERY light, so light that I'm not even certain if there's any yellow there or not, so I'm not certain), anyway because of this I've been cutting my nails short enough so that the white doesn't show, however, not so short that it hurts or anything like that. Normally, I think my whites used to look more of a "see-through" white, which I thought looked much more clean than now.... Also, another thing, I've sometimes gotten these little tiny brown lines underneath the ends of my nails, just one or two every now and then, not often. It sorta looks like a little brown splinter, but it's not, and recently I got one that was more in the middle of my nail. It moved further up as the nail grew and then I could reach it and sorta gently clean it out with a little tool. It seems like it's attached to the skin and a little to the nail, I think it's so odd when I get one of these, not real noticeable, but odd, what are they?... As well, I also notice VERY faint vertical lines in my nails, hardly noticeable, but there, and my cuticles are dry and also sorta have a "dingy" appearance, not exacly a yellow color, but just drab, maybe it's from the dryness? I do try to keep them moisturized.... I'm really hoping all this isn't a fungal infection! Does anyone here know if fungus grows slowly or quickly? Because I've had this for at least six months or maybe less, and it hasn't exactly gotten worse, so I thought maybe that meant it was unlikely to be fungus, but possibly yeast? And also my nails have NOT gotten thicker, but they aren't so thin that they would break or anything, I have not noticed any weakness. Oh, and I never wear any kind of nail polish...

Sorry for the long post, but any help you can provide would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by thewind; 02-01-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Nail problems... related to rubber gloves?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewind
    The ends of my nails, the whites, have looked more white the past few months or so. They look a "dingy" white, even though I think I keep them clean enough.

The coloration of the free edge, and the hardness of the nail plate is determined by the amount of inner material lost by the nail plate cells as they emerge from the matrix (the white half-moon at the base of the nail). As the nail plate grows forward off the nail bed, it will lose the source of the 'pink' coloration and will appear more white. Some people have a very translucent free edge, some have a more opaque free edge. This DOES NOT signify any type of infection.

I wear rubber gloves to wash dishes. I was wondering if that can cause a fungal or yeast infection?

No, it cannot cause a fungal or yeast infection. Both of these types of infection will cause the nail plate to lift form the nail bed and turn the normal 'smile' line into a very deep frown.
    I usually have always kept my nails short, but a few times I let them grow past my finger tips to a semi-long length, and combined with wearing gloves, I thought maybe that might have been a bad idea? Well, I just don't think this extra whiteness looks "clean", sometimes in really bright light I think I notice a very light yellowish color (VERY light, so light that I'm not even certain if there's any yellow there or not, so I'm not certain), anyway because of this I've been cutting my nails short enough so that the white doesn't show, however, not so short that it hurts or anything like that.

The off-color you are seeing just before the nail plate becones free edge is actually called the 'onychodermal band' and is natural. Some people have a more 'greyish' color to this band, and some people have a more yellowish color to this band. Either color is normal.

It sorta looks like a little brown splinter, but it's not, and recently I got one that was more in the middle of my nail. It moved further up as the nail grew and then I could reach it and sorta gently clean it out with a little tool. It seems like it's attached to the skin and a little to the nail, I think it's so odd when I get one of these, not real noticeable, but odd, what are they?...

They are called 'splinter hemoraghes' and are caused by voids between the nail plate cells that fill up with blood transmitted from the nail bed. They are normal and will grow forward with the nail plate until they grow off the end of the nail.

As well, I also notice VERY faint vertical lines in my nails, hardly noticeable, but there,

These faint lines are the 'rails and grooves' upon which the nail plate grows forward on the nail bed. As we age, they become more noticeable. They will also be more noticeable if our nail plate becomes dried out from having our hands in water a lot or using household cleaning solutions without wearing rubber gloves to protect our skin and nails from the solvents.
    and my cuticles are dry and also sorta have a "dingy" appearance, not exacly a yellow color, but just drab, maybe it's from the dryness? I do try to keep them moisturized.... I'm really hoping all this isn't a fungal infection!

When the cuticles are dry, they will not have a very 'pink' appearance. Applying lotions will help, but not as much as applying a good quality nail and skin oil such as Solar Oil or Botanical Oil. BOth of these oils contain jojoba oil, vitamin E and oter essentila conditioning and moisturizing oils. Solar Oil is available in fine nail salons or through Ulta Cosmetic outlets nationwide. Botanical Oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply.

Does anyone here know if fungus grows slowly or quickly? Because I've had this for at least six months or maybe less, and it hasn't exactly gotten worse, so I thought maybe that meant it was unlikely to be fungus, but possibly yeast? And also my nails have NOT gotten thicker, but they aren't so thin that they would break or anything, I have not noticed any weakness. Oh, and I never wear any kind of nail polish...

Fungus is characterized by nail plate lifting, a very yellow discoloration to the lifted portion of nail plate and evident debris in the area of lift. Fungus takes a while to take hold as it lives in the nail bed, not the nail plate.

Yeast is evidenced by nail plate lifting as well, but there will be a white discoloration to the lifted portion of nail plate with no evident debris in the area of lift.
    Sorry for the long post, but any help you can provide would be appreciated, thank you.
    I think your nails are fine and there is no reason for you to be cutting them so short. I think its great that you wear gloves to protect your skin and nails from potentially hazardous solvents.

Last edited by Marti; 02-02-2004 at 06:01 AM.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
    thewind

thewind HB User

Wow, thanks for your help, I'm really happy to know that you don't think I have an infection. But I was curious about two things you mentioned, one thing you said was, "Some people have a very translucent free edge, some have a more opaque free edge. This DOES NOT signify any type of infection."... Actually, my edges have usually always been more translucent. What would cause them to change to opaque? It could be possible that I may just need to let them grow out some more to really tell the difference, although one of the reasons I was concerned about yeast is because I think I may also be seeing white stuff underneath a couple of nails, though this could just be dry skin.

And one other thing you said: "Both of these types of infection will cause the nail plate to lift form the nail bed and turn the normal 'smile' line into a very deep frown." Would you mind explaining that a little more? I was just a bit confused on exactly where on the nail you were referring to actually. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    Wow, thanks for your help, I'm really happy to know that you don't think I have an infection. But I was curious about two things you mentioned, one thing you said was, "Some people have a very translucent free edge, some have a more opaque free edge. This DOES NOT signify any type of infection."... Actually, my edges have usually always been more translucent. What would cause them to change to opaque?

A change in age, a change in your diet, or just a normal transition. Mine used to be more translucnet as well, but now they are much more opaque and more even in color. It depends on how much inner material is lost by the nail plate cells as they grow forward. The more inner material lost, the more opaque the free edge. The more inner material lost, the harder the nail plate.

It could be possible that I may just need to let them grow out some more to really tell the difference, although one of the reasons I was concerned about yeast is because I think I may also be seeing white stuff underneath a couple of nails, though this could just be dry skin.

"White Stuff" underneath the nails may just be dry skin. yeast does not leave any type of evident debris behind.

And one other thing you said: "Both of these types of infection will cause the nail plate to lift form the nail bed and turn the normal 'smile' line into a very deep frown." Would you mind explaining that a little more? I was just a bit confused on exactly where on the nail you were referring to actually. Thanks again for your help.
    If you look at your nails from the top, you will see that there is a slight 'smile line' to the portion of the nail unsit where the nail grows off the nail bed. It will look like a smile as it is curved upward from the center to the corners. A yeast infection will turn this clean, crisp line into an uneven line and will eventually make it curve the other direction.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
    thewind

thewind HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marti
    If you look at your nails from the top, you will see that there is a slight 'smile line' to the portion of the nail unsit where the nail grows off the nail bed. It will look like a smile as it is curved upward from the center to the corners. A yeast infection will turn this clean, crisp line into an uneven line and will eventually make it curve the other direction.
    I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused about this part. I'm probably worrying over nothing, but when I look at the ends of my nails, looking at them from the top with them bent towards my palms,...well, the line, right before the white part grows out (the beginning top part of the whites, or, in other words, the place where I've cut them and they've started to grow out from), it is not exactly in a "smile" on all my nails. Is this the place you are referring to? In fact, some of them are kinda straight, and some of them do seem a little uneven, one of them even looks like it's almost curving downward, ever so slightly. Am I looking in the right place? Sorry if I sound overly worried.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused about this part. I'm probably worrying over nothing, but when I look at the ends of my nails, looking at them from the top with them bent towards my palms,...well, the line, right before the white part grows out (the beginning top part of the whites, or, in other words, the place where I've cut them and they've started to grow out from), it is not exactly in a "smile" on all my nails. Is this the place you are referring to? In fact, some of them are kinda straight, and some of them do seem a little uneven, one of them even looks like it's almost curving downward, ever so slightly. Am I looking in the right place? Sorry if I sound overly worried.
    Go to my website and see if you can find a picture of your nails. If the 'smile' is turning upside down, then you may have a yeast infection, but this does not come from wearing gloves. It is usually the result of Thyroid problems, cancer problems, or some other internal disorder and is manifesting itself in your nails. Your anti-bodies can be tricked into believing there is a bsacterium attempting to attack your nails if you so much as wear clear polish if you have thyroid problems. You may want to go see your doctor.

[url]www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url]

Old 02-03-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
    thewind

thewind HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marti
    Go to my website and see if you can find a picture of your nails. If the 'smile' is turning upside down, then you may have a yeast infection, but this does not come from wearing gloves. It is usually the result of Thyroid problems, cancer problems, or some other internal disorder and is manifesting itself in your nails. Your anti-bodies can be tricked into believing there is a bsacterium attempting to attack your nails if you so much as wear clear polish if you have thyroid problems. You may want to go see your doctor.

[url]www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url]
    Oh gosh no, my nails don't look anything like in any of those pictures! It's just that on some of my nails the 'smile' looks more straight than curved, more so on the pinky and ring fingers. I guess this is OK?.. Hypothyroidism does run in my family, but I've been tested a few times, and I do not think that I have it, but I will get tested again in the future. Thanks a lot for that link to your site.

Closed Thread