It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Softening of the nail plate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
    Gill Bailey

Gill Bailey HB User
    Question Softening of the nail plate

For my advanced nail techniques night class at college I have to find out the causes of softening of the nail plate. Its a contra-action of artificial nails. Can anyone tell me the various causes? Just the ones caused by wearing artificial nails please.
    Many thanks, Gill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Softening of the nail plate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gill Bailey
    For my advanced nail techniques night class at college I have to find out the causes of softening of the nail plate. Its a contra-action of artificial nails. Can anyone tell me the various causes? Just the ones caused by wearing artificial nails please.
    Many thanks, Gill
    The nail plate is constantly being 'bathed' by an upward tidal flow of oils and moisture that keep the nail plate flexible and strong. As this oil and moisture travels to the surface, it will evaporate. It is this oil and moisture that is responsible for the matte shine of the nail plate surface.

When one wears an artificial coating on the nails such as acrylics, gels or wraps, the oil and moisture cannot evaporate and get trapped in the nail plate. When the product is removed, the nail plate will be very soft; however, this will only last until the excess oil and moisture evaporates, which will only take from a few hours to a few days.

Soft nails after product removal can also be due to over-filing of the nail plate during preparation. If one uses a file with too coarse a grit on the natural nail (or worse yet, a drill) one will remove too many vital nail plate layers resulting in nails that are thinned out. This will also leave the nail plae soft as it has been overly thinned - remember, the nail plate is only comprised of 3 main layers: top, middle and bottom.

That, my dear, it it

For more information, you can visit my website [url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] - an educational website for technicians and consumers (link approved by Moderator 1)

Closed Thread