It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
    dwedre3

dwedre3 HB User
    Nail disorder

I have been struggling with one nail that has lifted from the nail bed - now I have 4 others that are starting to do the same. What is causing this and what can I do to stop this from happening? Is a virus? I'm wondering if there is something I can do to treat it rather than going to the dermatologist and taking some kind of drug. Just yesterday I had one nail that had lifted from the nail bed in the middle of the nail - and when I used my nipper to see if it was lifted on the very edge, the nail just peeled off from the middle, so the nail bed is exposed - just a strip across the nail. Really strange! - Does anybody have knowledge regarding nail disorders?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User
    Re: Nail disorder

It could be caused by fungus- have you had artificial nails for a long period of time?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwedre3
    I have been struggling with one nail that has lifted from the nail bed - now I have 4 others that are starting to do the same. What is causing this and what can I do to stop this from happening? Is a virus? I'm wondering if there is something I can do to treat it rather than going to the dermatologist and taking some kind of drug. Just yesterday I had one nail that had lifted from the nail bed in the middle of the nail - and when I used my nipper to see if it was lifted on the very edge, the nail just peeled off from the middle, so the nail bed is exposed - just a strip across the nail. Really strange! - Does anybody have knowledge regarding nail disorders?

Old 08-13-2004, 04:53 AM   #3
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Are you wearing artificial nails? If so, have you experienced any kind of itching or burning of the nail bed after application? Is the nail plate discolored in any way?

If you are wearing acrylics, i suggest you soak them off right away. You might be experiencing an allergic reaction which can cause the nail palte to lift from the nail bed. Fungus can cause lifting as well, but is usually evidenced by a yellowish discoloration and apparent debris in the area of lift. Fungus will usually attack the nail from the free edge, and not from the middle portion. Fungus can get under the nail if there is any kind of cut, break or tear to the seal surrounding the nail unit.

You can also experience lifting if you are allergic to some kind of household cleaning solution if you do not wear gloves when using these chemicals.

Fungus will manifest itself as a yellowish discoloration, apparent nail plate separation and evident debris in the area of lift.

Yeast (Candida) will manifest itself as a whitish coloration, apparent lifting, but NO debris.

Allergic reaction is usually characterized by a burning, itching sensation of the nail bed and.or the skin surrounding the nail unit.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:05 AM   #4
    poorabnormalone

poorabnormalone HB User

Sometimes problems with nails are first indicators of something more serious, i dont mean to scare you but you should really see a doctor!!

Old 08-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Poorabnormalone is correct. That can also be a sign of a thyroid disorder. Best to see a Dr.

Closed Thread