It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Black spot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #1
    jlove70
    (male)

jlove70 HB User
    Black spot

I've tried searching here and other places for an answer, but I can't find a similar case of my black spot. A couple months ago I noticed that the corner of my toenail at the tip got a small black spot on it. At first I figured I picked up some kind of fungus since I play hockey and my feet would sweat a lot. I trimmed off that portion of the nail(it was all on the white part), but when the nail grew out the spot came back. I don't remember doing anything as far as stubbing it, but I may have taken a puck off my skate that I don't remember. If it was from that though I would think that it wouldn't come back when I trimmed it. I'm worried about this cause I did see where this could be a sign of melanoma, and I plan on seeing a doctor, but I wanted to hear what all this could be as soon as possible. Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Black spot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlove70
    I've tried searching here and other places for an answer, but I can't find a similar case of my black spot. A couple months ago I noticed that the corner of my toenail at the tip got a small black spot on it. At first I figured I picked up some kind of fungus since I play hockey and my feet would sweat a lot. I trimmed off that portion of the nail(it was all on the white part), but when the nail grew out the spot came back. I don't remember doing anything as far as stubbing it, but I may have taken a puck off my skate that I don't remember. If it was from that though I would think that it wouldn't come back when I trimmed it. I'm worried about this cause I did see where this could be a sign of melanoma, and I plan on seeing a doctor, but I wanted to hear what all this could be as soon as possible. Thank you for any help.
    It could possibly be melanoma, but it usually begins at the base of the nail in the matrix. You are right in seeing your doctor because it doesn't sound like a hematoma (bruise). If the black spot started out as a green spot, then turned brown, then turned black, it could be a Pseudomonas bacterial infection. Only your doctor can tell you at this point.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

Definitely see the doctor just in case. Early detection is key in curing melanoma. It doesn't sound like a bruise to me, that would make me think some type of infection or melanoma. Good luck!
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-08-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
    jlove70
    (male)

jlove70 HB User

So, in cases where it is melanoma, does that mean the cancer is in the nail, or the toe or the foot? How do you know where it's at?

Old 12-08-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    So, in cases where it is melanoma, does that mean the cancer is in the nail, or the toe or the foot? How do you know where it's at?
    It is usually directly under the area that is compromised. If the black spot is at the free edge, then that's where the melanoma is located. If it is in the matrix, a black spot would show up in the lunula.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
    jlove70
    (male)

jlove70 HB User

Just wanted to give an update. I went to the Dr. this morning and he took one look and said it's a fungal infection. Good news. The part I'm worried about now(I know this probably belongs in a different section, but it could be related) is that I've had irratation in my groin. The Dr. said he thinks it could be about the same fungal infection, but there's always a possibilty it's herpes. He said he couldn't tell cause it looks like it's healing. I guess I'm curious as to what symptoms a fungal infection in this area would give me?

Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Just wanted to give an update. I went to the Dr. this morning and he took one look and said it's a fungal infection. Good news. The part I'm worried about now(I know this probably belongs in a different section, but it could be related) is that I've had irratation in my groin. The Dr. said he thinks it could be about the same fungal infection, but there's always a possibilty it's herpes. He said he couldn't tell cause it looks like it's healing. I guess I'm curious as to what symptoms a fungal infection in this area would give me?
    Fungus does not turn black - pseudomonas bacterial infections turn black. Pseudomonas begins as a light green stain, then progresses through dark green to brown to black. The darker the stain, the deeper into the nail plate it has traveled, and the softer the nail plate becomes due to the build up of by-product (the dark color is composed mainly of iron compounds, that's why it stains the nail plate).

Get some Amoresse Thymol and apply to the effected area twice a day. It will kill the infection and allow it to completely heal without continually returning.

As for the groin infection, it is probably just a light fungal infection that could quite possibly be treated successfully with that powder for jock itch.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
    sheryl555

sheryl555 HB User

Hi,

I work with a lady that had a black spot on her toe nail as well. It turns out that it was a fungus supposedly caused from having a pedicure. She learned the hard way that if you are going to have a pedicure, you should be buying and taking your own tools with you for them to use. And then taking them back home again to disinfect.
    Good luck to you

Old 12-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheryl555
    Hi,

I work with a lady that had a black spot on her toe nail as well. It turns out that it was a fungus supposedly caused from having a pedicure. She learned the hard way that if you are going to have a pedicure, you should be buying and taking your own tools with you for them to use. And then taking them back home again to disinfect.
    Good luck to you
    Like I said, Fungus does not turn your nails black - a Pseudomonas bacterial infection that attacks the nail plate will begin as a green stain, then progress through the stages of dark green to brown to black. The darker the color the worse the infection. Pseudomonas is easier to 'kill' than a true fungus simply by keeping the nail plate dehydrated.

Yes, you are correct in saying to take your implements and files with you, but always remember to wash and disinfect them when you get home so you don't give yourself an infection.

Last edited by Marti; 12-17-2004 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread