It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Weird nail rob, even dr. can't diagnose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
    Unhappy Weird nail problem, even dr. can't diagnose

Ok this happens either when I push cuticles back too much, randomly happens, or if i my nervousiness i pell of top layer of nail (i know that is nasty, but just habit sorry ). Ok, well a whitish not raised bubble appears near my cuticle. If I pick at it and make a hole, the hole gets large and reaches end of nail after a a few weeks. As it grows down to end it makes like a dip and around it the nail bubbles up raised, but is regular colored. When I rub my finger over it it is feel like different variety of bumps and smoothness. Freaks out people or makes then cringe. If I don't pick at the white spot and open making a hole it, pretty much does the same thing. As the deep dip reaches the end of the nail, the white part of nail at end is weak and flimsy. For it to return to normal takes like month. I hope I made a clear visual and not make you cringe. But the dr. said just quit bitting and bothering my nails. He even brought a health book in the room with another dr. and couldn't diagnose it. I have tried putting stuff on my nails to stop biting and picking them, but I still do it. What I want to know is what is this condition I have, why does it make that white space that turns in deep dip and bubble up nail around it? Help please

Last edited by Teacher_Lady; 02-05-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Weird nail problem, even dr. can't diagnose

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teacher_Lady
    Ok this happens either when I push cuticles back too much, randomly happens, or if i my nervousiness i pell of top layer of nail (i know that is nasty, but just habit sorry ). Ok, well a whitish not raised bubble appears near my cuticle. If I pick at it and make a hole, the hole gets large and reaches end of nail after a a few weeks. As it grows down to end it makes like a dip and around it the nail bubbles up raised, but is regular colored. When I rub my finger over it it is feel like different variety of bumps and smoothness. Freaks out people or makes then cringe. If I don't pick at the white spot and open making a hole it, pretty much does the same thing. As the deep dip reaches the end of the nail, the white part of nail at end is weak and flimsy. For it to return to normal takes like month. I hope I made a clear visual and not make you cringe. But the dr. said just quit bitting and bothering my nails. He even brought a health book in the room with another dr. and couldn't diagnose it. I have tried putting stuff on my nails to stop biting and picking them, but I still do it. What I want to know is what is this condition I have, why does it make that white space that turns in deep dip and bubble up nail around it? Help please
    You have a "nervous tic" habit of picking at the cuticle area. Directly underneath this area is the white half-moon that we call the Lunula and it is the leading edge of the Matrix where the nail plae cells are born. The cells from this area are plump, rounded and filled with an inner material. when we pick at or otherwise damage this area, the nail plae cells become damaged. As the damaged portion grows forward, it can take on several different appearances, including an 'empty' spor that could otherwise appear to look like a blister. When you pcik at this damaged portion, you are removing vital nail plate layers adn produce a hole in the surface of the nail plate.

Yes, it IS flimsy when it grows off the freee edge because the nail plate does not contain enough nail cells in that area to keep it strong.

I will advise you to do the same thing your doctor advised, and that is to do whatever you can to break this habit. Continuing to do so will cause permanent damage to the matrix and the nail palte will ALWAYS look bad and never heal.

Closed Thread