It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• biopsy came back negative for toe nail fungus so what could it be?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
    dizzy1

dizzy1 HB User
    Question biopsy came back negative for toe nail fungus so what could it be?????

my husband went to the dr. to see if he had toe nail fungus and the biopsy came back negative. His nails are yellow/brown and thick. He also has a yellow/green patches on both heels his feet. His feet are also red and vary itchy. His dr. is on vacation for a week so I don't know what else it could be. does any one have any ides? PLZ help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: biopsy came back negative for toe nail fungus so what could it be?????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy1
    my husband went to the dr. to see if he had toe nail fungus and the biopsy came back negative. His nails are yellow/brown and thick. He also has a yellow/green patches on both heels his feet. His feet are also red and vary itchy. His dr. is on vacation for a week so I don't know what else it could be. does any one have any ides? PLZ help
    Fungus is not diagnosed by taking a biopsy; it is diagnosed by taking a scraping of the debris between the nail plate and the nail bed and growing a culture in a petri dish. this can take upwards of 5 weeks to determine the presence of fungal spores and also to determine which kindof fungal spores have invaded the space bertween the nail plate and the nail bed.

Has the nail plate separated from the nail bed? Is there apparent debris in the area of separation? Are the nails also turning inward as if they are ingrowing? The only other characteristics of fungus is a thickened, discolored nail plate. I might suggest taking him to a dermatologist as they are usually more educated on nail diseases and disorders.

Red, itchy feet can signify a fungal infection of the skin such as Athletes Foot. I might suggest having him rub his feet down with either Blue Star Ointment or Vicks Vapor Rub in the morning and again at night. If yu suspect fungus, you can try Reclaim AF for the area of separation between the nail plate and the nail bed.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
    dizzy1

dizzy1 HB User
    Re: biopsy came back negative for toe nail fungus so what could it be?????

Thank you. They took a part of his toe nail off because he had a ingrown toe nail. so they used it instead of scraping. it has been 4 weeks now to see if anything was growing. they are not really separated. the reason for the ingrown is because he ripped it off moving a dresser. his nails are thick.

He has tried Vicks and also all the over the counter meds and also prescriptions

Thank you for your help ;( I hope i find something out soon

Closed Thread