It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• No more nail

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
    Kapipsi

Kapipsi HB User
    No more nail

Not that long ago I posted that my nail had become seperated from the finger and was just hanging on at the base. Well, it started hanging on by less and less and today I just pulled it off completely. Now, what do I do with the nailless finger? Should I cover it? With what? Should I keep water away from it? It's not bloody or sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User
    Arrow Re: No more nail

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kapipsi
    Not that long ago I posted that my nail had become seperated from the finger and was just hanging on at the base. Well, it started hanging on by less and less and today I just pulled it off completely. Now, what do I do with the nailless finger? Should I cover it? With what? Should I keep water away from it? It's not bloody or sore.
    Hi Kapipsi,
    I remember reading your first post about that nail. Just keep it clean and dry. You should see a membrane covering it, or if you're lucky, a new nail beginning to grow. It won't grow back if the matrix has been damaged, but in either case, once it's completly healed, you can actually use a fake nail if you want to. I don't know if you're a guy or girl, you probably won't care if you're a guy. If your hands are in water a lot, or using harsh chemicals, I would wear gloves, at least for now. Also, you don't want to bump it again........ouch!

Old 09-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
    Kapipsi

Kapipsi HB User
    Re: No more nail

Thanks for the reply! I really hope the nail does grow back.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
    cowboy ray
    (male)

cowboy ray HB User

I have been wondering about this myself, since I have a thumbnail that is currently in bad shape due to psoriasis. I've wondered about the possibility of removing it completely. If I were to do that, how practical would it be to then put a fake nail on the nail bed? Would that work, or would it have to be constantly maintained?

Old 09-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User
    Lightbulb Re: No more nail

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowboy ray
    I have been wondering about this myself, since I have a thumbnail that is currently in bad shape due to psoriasis. I've wondered about the possibility of removing it completely. If I were to do that, how practical would it be to then put a fake nail on the nail bed? Would that work, or would it have to be constantly maintained?
    You would have to re-glue the fake nail back on every few days. I guess it would depend on how rough you are with your hands. Seems like a thumbnail might stick a little longer though.
    I plan on having what's left of my toenail removed. The infection destroyed half of it and I think it would look better to just have the rest of it removed. The membrane actually looks like a nail anyway. Yours might look just fine without a nail if you keep your nails short. People probably wouldn't even notice. I don't think they'll notice when mine is removed but I like to paint my toenails so I guess I'll just use a fake one. Only takes a second or two to glue one on. If you do have yours removed, please post it. I'd like to know what to expect with pain or length of time to heal.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
    cowboy ray
    (male)

cowboy ray HB User

I haven't had any luck finding any images of what a thumb or finger would look like without a nail...it seems like it would look pretty weird but I'd like to see a pic, if anyone knows where I could look? thx

Old 09-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

Quote:
    I haven't had any luck finding any images of what a thumb or finger would look like without a nail...it seems like it would look pretty weird but I'd like to see a pic, if anyone knows where I could look? thx
    I can't refer you to a picture but I can describe it pretty accurately I think. Picture someone who bites their nails all the time so they're pretty short. That's what the membrane looks like except thinner. Just looks like a thin short nail.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
    cowboy ray
    (male)

cowboy ray HB User

Ok thanks...so in your opinion, having no nail at all would look better than having one that's cracked and raised above the nail bed?

And since I have an abnormal nail plate, would there be any abnormalities visible on the bed? Marti, can you give me any advice on this? I know you have a lot of knowledge on this subject as well. Thanks...

Last edited by cowboy ray; 09-28-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Ok, both of you get over the idea of applying a "fake" nail to your skin, because that's what you would be applying it to. Using artificial nail products on your skin will only make matters worse as you can give yourself an allergic reaction to the products. ALL artificial nail products are made with acrylates, including nail glue, superglue, etc. An allergic reaction would just make matters worse!

If the nail is surgically removed by the root, it will never grow again. If it is incised just forward of the matrix, it will continue to grow as the matrix (root) is where the nail palte cells are 'born'.

Psoriasis of the nails will make the nail appear bumpy or pitted. the disorder is in the nail BED and is reflected on the nail surface. Removing the nail plate in an effort to correct psoriasis is not the answer - you will just reveal a bumpy nail bed.

Nails with psoriasis can be covered with a simple nail wrap such as silk wrap, or just paint on nail wrap resin and quick cure with some Hurry Up adhesive drier. If this is what you want let me know and I can tell you how to do it yourself.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #10
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User
    Question Re: No more nail

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marti
    Ok, both of you get over the idea of applying a "fake" nail to your skin, because that's what you would be applying it to. Using artificial nail products on your skin will only make matters worse as you can give yourself an allergic reaction to the products. ALL artificial nail products are made with acrylates, including nail glue, superglue, etc. An allergic reaction would just make matters worse!
    Hi Marti,
    I actually got this suggestion from you. The original posts are below. At the time you didn't mention any possible allergic reaction to the acrylic nail. I found that the nail polish wouldn't stay on for even a day but the fake polished nail lasted several days before it had to be re-glued. So far, no problems with it. Knock on wood.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookiepls
    Greetings All,

I lost one of my toenails to a fungus. My toe looks perfectly normal and it even looks like I still have a toenail there. I would like to be able to wear nail polish every once in a while but of course, it won't stay on that toe. I have a few ideas brewing in my head on how to get it to stay on but I don't want to try anything that may cause damage. Does anyone know what would work?
    Quote:
    My sister lost both her big toenails to fungus many years ago. I used to sculp an acrylic toenail for her during the summer. It would turn loose in a few days, but she would just glue it back on.

You might try cleaning the 'skin' with acetone to remove all traces of moisture and oils from the skin, then apply the polish. It would only stay on for a few days.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #11
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookiepls
    Hi Marti,
    I actually got this suggestion from you. The original posts are below. At the time you didn't mention any possible allergic reaction to the acrylic nail. I found that the nail polish wouldn't stay on for even a day but the fake polished nail lasted several days before it had to be re-glued. So far, no problems with it. Knock on wood.
    I suppose I should have mentioned that this was only a 'temporary' thing and not to be applied on a daily basis.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
    cowboy ray
    (male)

cowboy ray HB User

Quote:

Nails with psoriasis can be covered with a simple nail wrap such as silk wrap, or just paint on nail wrap resin and quick cure with some Hurry Up adhesive drier. If this is what you want let me know and I can tell you how to do it yourself.

Yes I would be curious to know how I might go about doing that. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Yes I would be curious to know how I might go about doing that. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The supplies you will need can be found at Sally Beauty Supply:

240 grit white block buffer
    IBD 5-second Brush-on resin
    Hurry Up glue drier
    240 grit thin file
    3-way buffer
    Botanical Oil

1.Wash and dry your hands
    2. Use the white block buffer to remove the shine from the surface of the nail plate - do not overfile.
    3. Apply the brush-on resin by 'painting' it on the nail surface from the cuticle to the free edge. Apply a thin coat to the nails on one hand only.
    4. Holding the can of Hurry Up about 12" from the nail surface, spray all 5 nails with the glue drier.
    5. Apply to the other hand and spray to cure.
    6. Reapply to each hand, one hand at a time and cure.
    7. Buff the surface smooth with the black side of the 3-way buffer.
    8. Refine the surface with the white shide of the 3-way buffer.
    9. Buff to a high shine with the gray side of the 3-way buffer.

That's it!

If you need more strength, you will need to apply either silk or fiberglass wrap fabric between coatings - being sure to wet the entire piece of fabric. Be sure to cut the fabric so it is the same width of your nails before applying, It can be longer, but no wider. You will remove any excess fabric when you do your finish filing.

You can also get the silk or fiberglass from the beauty supply. Let me know if you need anythng else.

Last edited by Marti; 10-04-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
    cowboy ray
    (male)

cowboy ray HB User

Ok thank you very much...I think I'm going to go without the wrap for now and see how that works out. I already have a few of those rectangular-block buffers, of varying grit. Will those work for what I need, or would I need an additional different one? Quick question about the resin though...firstly, what does it do, in a nutshell? Would I be correct in assuming that it's basically just adding a refined cover-up top layer to the nail surface? Also, will I be able to use it on a cracked nail? And lastly how long will it generally last before I need re-application? Thanks again..

Old 10-07-2005, 05:30 AM   #15
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Ok thank you very much...I think I'm going to go without the wrap for now and see how that works out. I already have a few of those rectangular-block buffers, of varying grit. Will those work for what I need, or would I need an additional different one? Quick question about the resin though...firstly, what does it do, in a nutshell? Would I be correct in assuming that it's basically just adding a refined cover-up top layer to the nail surface? Also, will I be able to use it on a cracked nail? And lastly how long will it generally last before I need re-application? Thanks again..
    Wrap resin is basically a refined nail adhesive. You will need two coatings on the first application. Yes, you can use it on a cracked nail, but you will first have to get some into the space between the crack, then quickly lay the halves together, spray with teh drier, then apply the coatings over the whole nail. If you end up with a bump over the crack, you can buff with the soft 240 grit block buffer, then reapply another coating. Reapplication depends on your specific needs; usually about 2-3 weeks depending on nail growth. Buff the surface before you reapply so it will adhere better.

Closed Thread