It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• My nails are growing in white!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
    TamWasHere
    (female)

TamWasHere HB User
    My nails are growing in white!

I have been using vinegar. The nails on some of my toes are growing in at the base white. One nail was pinkish, now it is coming in from the cutical at the base white!

My two big toes are 100% effected, they are all white. I have NO area of separation, so I just put the vinegar under the nail and at the base twice daily.

I am worried that this white nail growing in at the base just means my nails are getting worse. Any opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: My nails are growing in white!

If there is no apparent fungal infection and no nail plate separation from the nail bed, then why are you using the vinegar?

Vinegar (as well as alcohol, etc.) can wick the natural oils and moisture from the nail plate and can even remove the inner material that makes the new emerging nail plate plump and round. The nail plate cells will naturally loose this inner material and become flattened and hard as they grow forward from the matrix. Excess use of vinegar on a non-enfected nail can casue the nail plate to turn white. If you discontinue its use, the nails should return to normal.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2006 at 07:16 PM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
    TamWasHere
    (female)

TamWasHere HB User

It is a fungal infection. There is just no seperation. The nail is stuck to the toe like a nail should be. They were growing in misshapen, they were thick and yellow, there was alot of debis on the side of the big toes. The debris has cleared up, the shape is much better but they are still very thick, they are just turning white. I was told it would take over a year to clear up and that all the "bad" nail had to grow off before it would clear up and that during that time if you stopped using the vinegar the fungal infection would return.

What should I do???

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

True fungus is characterized by nail plate thickening, a yellowish discoloration, nail plate separation and apparent debris in the area of separation. If the nail plate is not separated from the nail bed, then I am suspecting something different than true fungus. Have you been diagnosed by your physician with fungus infection? If there is no more nail plate separation, then you may want to ask your doctor if the infection may still be 'live'.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
    TamWasHere
    (female)

TamWasHere HB User

Well..I have all of those except nail seperation and have been diagnosed with fungal infection. There has never been any seperation and I have had this problems for years and years and years.

I took your advice and my Dr got helped me an appointment with a really good poditrist so I can get my nails tested...again. I go this Tuesday, maybe I will get something that works this time.

I really want to wear sandals next year.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FYI: Yeast (Candida) is also classified as "fungus". Yeast does not always make the nail plate separate from the nail bed, and it usually shows up as a white discoloration. If it is yeast infection, your doctor (Podiatrist) can prescribe Naftin ointment.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
    TamWasHere
    (female)

TamWasHere HB User

I went to the poditrist today. She said it definately looks like nail fugus. I had to have some surgical things done on the bottom of my feet, (unrelated to the nails) and she took samples of my nails to be tested so they could find out what it is.

I go back in for followup and another surgical procedure on the bottom of my feet in two weeks. At that time I will get the test results and then I guess I will find out what she prescribes.

I did stop the vinegar and my middle toe that was the one that was really turning white is growing in normal again.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
    goodman
    (male)

goodman HB User

This isa fungal infection.
    Use anti fungla creams for a week instead of vinegar and watch the results.

Closed Thread