It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• weird toe nail injury. need help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
    Nutritionfreakz
    (male)

Nutritionfreakz HB User
    weird toe nail injury. need help!

I injured my big toe while playing basketball. I jumped and put alot of pressure onto my toes when I landed. when I took off my socks, a little blood was seeping out from the side of my big toe and I could see the blood swooshing underneath the nail. well I thought no big deal I guess... becuz its happened before just a bit worse this time. eventually stopped bleeding and almost returned to normal until I reinjured it again during ultimate frisbee. now its been a month and the toe nail looks dead but still very much attached. its a little loose because when I bend the nail back a little bit, I can see 1/3 underneath it. Ive tried to trim it little by little so I wont make the nail fall off. maybe theres a new nail growing underneath? cuz theres a white part visible through the bottom of the old nail. o yeh and theres some dried blood on the side of the nail. if anyone can offer any advice, id appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: weird toe nail injury. need help!

You gave yourself a hematoma and traumatized it even more by playing frisbee. Whereever there is blood present between the nail plate and the nail bed, the nail will separate from the nail bed. Eventually, the lifted portion can be trimmed away. A new nail plate will emerge from the matrix underneath the cuticle area. In the meantime, you should not further traumatize it by playing sports. Let it heal!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
    Nutritionfreakz
    (male)

Nutritionfreakz HB User

thanks marti. so far everything you said has happened. my old nail is about to fall off and I think theres already a new nail pushing through at the base. a couple questions I have are once the old is off, about how long will the new nail grow back all the way. I heard that males have faster nail growth than females, nail growth is faster in the summer and younger people. I fit all these conditions. is there much of a difference?

Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Three to six months depending on your genetics.

Closed Thread