It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Help my two year old!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
    Anna Mae
    (female)

Anna Mae HB User
    Help my two year old!!!

Several of my two year old's fingernails and toenails are peeling off, horizontally, from the center of the nail bed. It starts out as a horizontal crack across the middle of the nail (closer to the cuticle), then it separates and peels off completely from the center, up. There is a very thin, skin-like nail underneath, but only half a nail. This just started happening a couple of weeks ago with one nail and a few others have followed. There is no discoloration. This is very scary for him, (and me too). Please Help!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Anna Mae For This Useful Post:
    choni5 (07-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Help my two year old!!!

Unless he has a 'habit tic' such as picking or rubbing the same spot(s) all the time, you might want to take him to his physician. Our nails are a mirror to our inner health and this could be something systemic rather than from any 'outside' source.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
    klgarcia
    (female)

klgarcia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anna Mae
    Several of my two year old's fingernails and toenails are peeling off, horizontally, from the center of the nail bed. It starts out as a horizontal crack across the middle of the nail (closer to the cuticle), then it separates and peels off completely from the center, up. There is a very thin, skin-like nail underneath, but only half a nail. This just started happening a couple of weeks ago with one nail and a few others have followed. There is no discoloration. This is very scary for him, (and me too). Please Help!!!
    did you ever get see a Dr? The same thing is happening to my two year old son. Just his fingernails though. Please help!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
    rwccval
    (female)

rwccval HB User

My 2 Year Old Son And My 4 Year Old Daughters Fingernails And Toenails Keep Coming Off. They Also Start From The Cuticle And Work Its Way Up Until They Come Off Completely But There Is A Thin Layer Underneath That Looks Kind Of Like A Nail. It First Started With The 4 Year Old And 1 Week Later Started With The 2 Year Old. It Doesn't Hurt Them And The Nails Grow Back But It Keeps Happening To Other Nail And Toenails. I Went To The Doctor About It And They First Thought It Was A Calcium Defieciency So They Advised A Supplemental Vitamin D And Calcium Vitamin. We Did That For A Month And It Still Keeps Happening. Then The Doctor Wanted Me To Try Putting Vicks Vapor Rub On All Of Their Nails Every Night For 2 Weeks In Case Of A Fungus And It Is Still Happening. Please Help Me In What To Do Next.

Closed Thread