It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail Fungus and Pedicures??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
    dawnderella
    (female)

dawnderella HB User
    Nail Fungus and Pedicures??

I am searching for what this may be and I think I may have nail fungus but, I am not sure. Browsing through these topics it sounds like I came to the right place for an answer. On both of my big toes I have bright white discoloration and it's "rough" sandpaper like (not smooth like a normal nail). That is from the middle to the top of each nail. There is no yellow or thickness. But, when I clip them, it crumbles aparts. Then on my left big toe I have a black line underneath the toenail at the base and it looks like one starting on the right big toe at the same exact spot as the right side. I haven't tried any treatments because I wasn't sure what it was before and I just noticed the black spot a few months ago and thought it was a bruise. Well, now I suspect it is not a bruise since it is not growing out and I am getting one on the other toe also. I never had any problems until I started going to this one salon for pedicures, I guess I got some kind of infection from there Please help and tell me how I can get rid of this, it is so gross!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Nail Fungus and Pedicures??

Does the white cumbly part start at teh cutilce and go to the middle of the nail plate, or is it from the middle to the free edge? I'm not sure what you mean by the "top". You said the surface was bumpy - are there tiny pin dot depressions in the nail plate? If so, you may have aquired nail psoriasis as this is characteristic of that disorder. So is the 'crumbly' nail plate when you try to cut it.

If the white started at the free edge and slowly has made its way back toward the cuticle, you may have aquired a yeast infection (candida) from the technician using dirty or otherwise contaminated instruments, files, etc. If you see any nail dust or any other type of 'stuff' on her implements or files, please ask her to use clean ones on you; it is the law in most all the 50 states that the technician is to use individual files on each client and not use the same files on everyone. They are supposed to wash and sanitize everything in between clients adn this takes a minimum of 10 minutes to perform properly.

As for the black line, she may have pushed back the cutilces to oagressively and caused a inor trauma to the nail plate that has the black line in it. If it looks like a tiny splinter under the surface, it may just be a splinter hemorrhage. If so, it will grow out with the nail plate, but remember, it can take up to a year for a toenail to completely replace itself as they are VERY slow growing.

If the other black spots are actually round or irregularly round 'spots', it could be a pseudomonas bacterial infection from the technician using contaminated or dirty files, instruments or implements.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
    dawnderella
    (female)

dawnderella HB User

The white crumbly part doesn't touch the cuticle really (a little on the right toe but, it's not as bad on the left). It is from the middle to the free edge. There are no pin dot impressions where the white is. It looks like I used the nail nail horizontally on the nail, it's just real coarse like.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If the white started at the free edge and is slowly making its way toward the cuticle, it just might be a yeast (candida) infection. You can also aquire this at the salon if the technician is using 'used', dirty or otherwise contaminated instruments and files on you. You can also aquire this if they do not properly disinfect the pedicure tub between clients. Most salons do not mark out enough time, if they mark out any at all, in between clients to properly sanitize thier pedicure tubs, instruments, files, etc. Proper sanitation and disinfection procedures take no less than 10 minutes to accomplish and are part of the rules and regulations set forth by the state board licencing office. These procedures are set forth to protect the health of the client(s). Most technicians are in a hurry to get as many clients in their chair as possible adn end up cutting corners on the services and dropping the sanitation/disinfection procedures alltogether, and it shows up in the clients nail health.

You need to go see your podiatrist or dermatologist and get some medication to treat this as it can spread to your other nails as well. If it is indeed a yeast infection, it can safely be treated with Naftin ointment which is only available by prescription.

My advise? Find a salon that uses individual files for each client and one that properly performs thier sanitation/disinfection procedures.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
    marley890
    (female)

marley890 HB User

I have gotten rid of this fungus by using Thymme essential oils at the base and try to get it under the nail twice a day. You can buy it at a Health or Whole Foods store. If it's really bad try ingesting the thymme by putting it in a capsule with some Organic Olive OIl. I know it sounds weird but try this before taking medication since those have been known to cause liver and heart damage.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
    marley890
    (female)

marley890 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dawnderella
    I am searching for what this may be and I think I may have nail fungus but, I am not sure. Browsing through these topics it sounds like I came to the right place for an answer. On both of my big toes I have bright white discoloration and it's "rough" sandpaper like (not smooth like a normal nail). That is from the middle to the top of each nail. There is no yellow or thickness. But, when I clip them, it crumbles aparts. Then on my left big toe I have a black line underneath the toenail at the base and it looks like one starting on the right big toe at the same exact spot as the right side. I haven't tried any treatments because I wasn't sure what it was before and I just noticed the black spot a few months ago and thought it was a bruise. Well, now I suspect it is not a bruise since it is not growing out and I am getting one on the other toe also. I never had any problems until I started going to this one salon for pedicures, I guess I got some kind of infection from there Please help and tell me how I can get rid of this, it is so gross!!!!
    I have gotten rid of this fungus by using Thymme essential oils at the base and try to get it under the nail twice a day. You can buy it at a Health or Whole Foods store. If it's really bad try ingesting the thymme by putting it in a capsule with some Organic Olive OIl. I know it sounds weird but try this before taking medication since those have been known to cause liver and heart damage.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
    dawnderella
    (female)

dawnderella HB User

Thanks I will try the Thymme essential oils. It's just really weird because the toenails look really ugly but, if I am in the shower when they get wet you can't see it at all. I always hope that one of these times the shower is going to wash it away but, no such luck I am keeping polish off my toes and don't plan on getting pedicures for a long, long time. I just want to have healthy toenails again!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
    Jen121
    (female)

Jen121 HB User

I have this same problem. Its on 4 of my fingernails and my two big toes. It starts in the middle of my nail and goes up to the free edge as well. It is also white colored, but not brittle or rough. It hurts when I push on my nail and is painful to do activites.

I do not want to take an oral medication to treat it, however I do really want it to go away. Maybe ill use that thymme oil, I have bought 2 antifungal topicals and have been applying twice a day.

If it was a yeast infection, would the antifungals still work? I have been using them for about a month with no results

Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

yes anti-fungals would work. just a word of warning. occassionally i used to get a pedicure. that last one was almost a year ago and brought me into my podiatrist. i see him routinely but while having the pedicure the girl started to shave my callouses( i have a trememdous problem with them) and took a big chunk out of one of my big toes. did i bleed and bleed. she said "oh that's nothing" since i am a diabetic it is something. podiatrist told me to do my own pedicures and if i wsnt my toe nails polished to buy my own bottle and bring it with me to the salon. he sees more damage everyday from pedicures. since i don't do manicures i would suggest you buy your own set of tools and bring them with you.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
    Sandy2007
    (female)

Sandy2007 HB User
    Cool Re: Nail Fungus and Pedicures??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dawnderella

Try using Oil of Oregano - the special one sold by Won With Nature - on E Bay - This is the ancient Biblical plant Hyssop - a natural cure but it has to be the special desert plant. I know this one works for curing yeast infections of the toenail and skin. It is not to be used for vaginal yeast infections - unless taken internally. While you may or may not have the yeast toenail infection, I would try treating the toenails with Oil of Oregano to rid whatever it is! Stop using those nasty nail salons too. The fungus infections they transmit are not worth the risks IMHO. Good Luck -- contact Shawn at Won With Nature 2810 Chamberlain St. Fairlawn, OH 44333 if you can not locate him on E Bay.

Last edited by Sandy2007; 12-20-2006 at 07:42 AM.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
    Sandy2007
    (female)

Sandy2007 HB User

Try using Oil of Oregano - the special one sold by Won With Nature - on E Bay - This is the ancient Biblical plant Hyssop - a natural cure but it has to be the special desert plant. I know this one works for curing yeast infections of the toenail and skin. It is not to be used for vaginal yeast infections - unless taken internally. While you may or may not have the yeast toenail infection, I would try treating the toenails with Oil of Oregano to rid whatever it is! Stop using those nasty nail salons too. The fungus infections they transmit are not worth the risks IMHO. Good Luck -- contact Shawn at Won With Nature 2810 Chamberlain St. Fairlawn, OH 44333 if you can not locate him on E Bay.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
    Sandy2007
    (female)

Sandy2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jen121
    I have this same problem. Its on 4 of my fingernails and my two big toes. It starts in the middle of my nail and goes up to the free edge as well. It is also white colored, but not brittle or rough. It hurts when I push on my nail and is painful to do activites.

I do not want to take an oral medication to treat it, however I do really want it to go away. Maybe ill use that thymme oil, I have bought 2 antifungal topicals and have been applying twice a day.

If it was a yeast infection, would the antifungals still work? I have been using them for about a month with no results
    Yeast or Candida is a fungal infection. It is highly contageous too. Use the Oil of Oregano sold by Won With Nature to be sure you get the correct plant which will cure this as well as many other conditions. You could have a systemic yeast infection (not necessarily the vaginal yeast infection) and there is help for you without taking that horrible liver-damaging medicine. Check other of my posts for how to locate Shawn in Ohio. His product worked for my brother and me. Cures many ailments. Is the Biblical Hyssop plant - desert plant - there are many products out there claiming to be the real ones - I only trust this one, since it worked for my brother and me.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
    dawnderella
    (female)

dawnderella HB User
    Re: Nail Fungus and Pedicures?? *Update*

I just wanted to update. I think I did have a yeast infection on my toenails from the nail salon. All I did was rub on micanazole(sp?) cream twice a day for a several weeks and it got better. Also the black spot under my one toenail must have been a bruise because now it's almost to the top, almost grown all the way out (it took over 6 months for that to grow out, weird). Anyway, I am so happy to finally have normal healthy looking toenails again. It took a long time and alot of patience. So many times I just wanted to cover them up with nail polish but, I didn't. I also didn't waste money on expensive treatments. So, I hope if anyone else has the same problem and reads this, try the micanazole cream first before you blow money on something expensive that may or may not work. It worked for me Oh and no more nail salons for me!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You might want to read the page on my website about how to find a Top Quality Salon. As a nail technician and Educator, I can certainly agree with you about 'aquiring' nail infections from salons. Most of them never clean their instruments or implements and use the same files on every client that walks through the door even though it is against all the rules and regulations on sanitation and disinfection practices set forth by the State Boards of Licensing. Sad, but true!

[url]www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] (link approved by Moderator 1)

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
    dawnderella
    (female)

dawnderella HB User

Thanks Marti!

Closed Thread