It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• slammed window on my thumb nail

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
    becs79
    (female)

becs79 HB User
    Unhappy slammed window on my thumb nail

can anyone give me info??? i closed the window on my thumb nail 24 hours ago and the pain was unbelievable.. it is slightly swollen and a quarter of the nail is a blue grey colour, right at the moon area. pain is not as bad as it was in the middle of the night. will i lose my nail?? if so, when??? what does it look like when the nail is gone? is it possible the bruising may just grow out?
    thanks

Last edited by becs79; 04-26-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: slammed window on my thumb nail

If there is any discoloration under the nail plate, chances are that that portion of the nail plate may separate from the nail bed as it grows forward. Good news is that a new nail will immediately grow in behind the damaged portion.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
    becs79
    (female)

becs79 HB User

thanks for the quick reply Marti!! when the nail starts to seperate is there anything safe to put on it so it wont look too weird (anything cosmetic, false nail or anything?)

Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
    N78
    (female)

N78 HB User

Hi there last year I somehow shut the car door on my thumb it was painfull and colour changes went from dark pink to purplish blue then back to light pink, all in all time frame took about a month and yes the nail was slightly damage but grew out about 8 months later. I guess that depends on how fast your nails grows for you if might be earlier.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I wouldn't cover it with anything if I were you - it is too easy to trap bacteria in the area of damage which can turn into a full blown infection. It is easier to keep clean if you just leave it alone and let it grow out on its own.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
    becs79
    (female)

becs79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    I wouldn't cover it with anything if I were you - it is too easy to trap bacteria in the area of damage which can turn into a full blown infection. It is easier to keep clean if you just leave it alone and let it grow out on its own.
    Hi Marti,
    It is now over 2 weeks since i damaged my thumb nail. The nail is now starting to grow out and there is a black gap coming through without a nail. My nail is still very attatched, its not lifting. Will this old nail come off or just grow out? Also, when will the new nail start coming through. Can't see it yet?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The "black gap" is just the portion where you damaged the nail plate. As the matrix developes new nail plate cells, they will push this damaged portion forward until it grows off the free edge. It can take from 3-6 months for the nail plate to completely replace itself depending on your genetics.

Closed Thread