HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nail Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/)
-   -   Partial Toe Nail Removal (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/501919-partial-toe-nail-removal.html)

Junebug08 05-24-2007 03:04 AM

Partial Toe Nail Removal

To make a long story short, after seeing my third doctor about a strange problem with my big toe, he froze it and removed one side of the nail on Tuesday. It was a little hard to walk and a little sore once it thawed out. I was very careful with it that nite and yesterday it was fairly sore, but I hobbled around okay. Last nite it started aching soooooo bad! And this morning I can hardly stand it! It is throbbing and aches really bad. Not to mention what it looks like. Gross!! So has anyone had an experience like this? Should it hurt this much or could something be wrong? And I'm scared to death to think about what it is going to look like once it starts to heal! Will it ever look normal again?? Thanks for any help!

Marti 05-25-2007 05:26 AM

Re: Partial Toe Nail Removal

Take a couple of Advil for the pain and try to wear sandals that do not put any pressure on the nail. Keep it clean and apply antibacterial ointment to the effected area. It will not look good for a while, but the matrix will continue to produce new nail plate cells that will grow forward and push the damaged portion off the free edge.

Junebug08 05-25-2007 04:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Marti. I am taking Aleve and using iodine ointment and changing the bandage like I'm supposed to, but I'm really concerned about the swelling and redness. It is extremely swollen and reddish purple. There is major pressure in it, almost like it will explode!! That is what is really worrying me!

Marti 05-26-2007 05:10 AM

Try soaking it in a warm water and Epsom Salt Solution. This should help with the swelling and redness. Whenever a nail is removed from the nail bed, all that soft raw tissue is exposed and yes, it will swell up and become red and irritated. It will be that way for several weeks or more depending on how well you 'heal'. Don't worry, it won't "explode" - it just feels that way. If it continues, you might want to let your doctor look at it.

Junebug08 06-13-2007 01:54 PM

Okay, so yesterday my partial toenail removal turned into a complete toenail removal. After the partial removal, the toe did not improve so I was put on an antibiotic. That still did not work. After examining it again, the Dr. concluded the remaining nail was not attached. I still have no idea what caused this and neither does he. It's all very strange. Anyway, my toenail is gone and all that remains is extreme pain!! I'm taking Aleve but it doesn't seem to touch the pain. I can't believe I've spent the last two months fighting with this toe!

Junebug08 06-18-2007 05:30 PM

Toe Nail Removal

Has anyone had a toenail surgically removed?? I had mine done a week ago and it is still killing me! The redness hasn't gone away and the swelling is still pretty bad. The pain has been bad, but the pressure is absolutely awful! I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this done and how long it took to feel even a little better!