It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• nail biter - damaged nail bed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
    Radio42
    (female)

Radio42 HB User
    nail biter - damaged nail bed?

I've always been a nail biter but at a particularly stressful time which must of been a year or so ago I bit the nail on one finger so badly I'm actually quite ashamed of myself. Normally I just bite all the white part off but I ended up somehow nibbling on the nail down one side.
    At first the nail grew back but was often misshapen and didn't always attach properly. Over time the nail shape itself has gone back to a relatively normal looking state although not perfect but I think I may have damaged the nail bed underneath as the nail doesn't always stay attached properly.

I figured that I had damaged the nail bed permanently but very occasionally it does back to a nice smooth, round sort of shape for a short while before the white part goes misshapen again which sort of gives me hope but it's been like this for so long now I've kinda just decided that I'll have to live with it but it's unsightly and embarrassing so if there is a chance to heal it some how I'd be interested to know how.

I normally just try and keep the nail fairly short so it doesn't catch on anything and I don't use polish on it so the air can get to the nail properly and since I damaged it, it's the only nail I won't bite at all but it would be great if I could somehow fix it.
    Oh also I should probably note that I'm currently pregnant so would any possible treatments need to wait until after I've had the baby. (not long to go now anyway)

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: nail biter - damaged nail bed?

You more than likely damaged a portion of the nail bed. Once the nail bed sustains permanent damage, it is hard for the nail plate to properly adhere and maintain a normal shape. Keep it out of your mouth and leave it alone. Keep it short so you won't be tempted to bite off the free edge. Keep all the other nails short and well manicured. If there are no rough edges or cracked broken skin, you really won't have anything to bite. Nail biters are on a quest for order, so regular manicures are a MUST!

Closed Thread