It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Deformed nail/Nail removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
    tada
    (male)

tada HB User
    Deformed nail/Nail removal

I had a bad case of athelete's foot years ago that somehow spread under six of my toenails. They are now deformed, especially the big toes. They nails and the nail bed are curled badly and can become ingrown.

I tried oral Lamisil for 6 months (3 months longer than normal) with no results. I tried Penlac with no results. I have even tried vinegar daily and tea tree oil daily with no results.

I went to a podiatrist who said that the nail beds had been damaged and had fungus deep in the nail bed. He said the only cure was to have the six nails removed permanently. He said the removing them and letting the regrow would only result in the same problem and that the fungus would grow back again.

I really would like to be rid of this problem, but the idea of nail removal is still hard for me to realize. I have looking into the surgery, and it is not too bad. But, it looks like it takes about 6 weeks to heal, and months for the skin to grow over the bed. Also, the look of having no nails is still shocking to me, even though it would probably look better than my nails now.

Any ideas on this? I know it is up to me. I have seen info on Vick's and Thymol, but they could just be another lost cause. Any opinions or advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Deformed nail/Nail removal

As long as the fungus has not invaded the nail root or the matrix, you culd have just the existing nail palte removed and leave the root alone. This way, you could treat the skin of the nail bed to help rid it of the fungal spores. When nailsare infected with fungus, they tend to 'grip' the nail bed by turning inward and becoming ingrown into the flesh.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
    tada
    (male)

tada HB User

Marti,

Thank you for the response. I did ask the podiatrist about just removing the nail, treating the infection, and letting it grow back. He said this would not work. But, I didn't ask him about removing the nail plate. He said that the fungus had invaded the root or matrix. How would he know this, and how would anyone know if it has spread into the matrix? He said the new nail would just grow back deformed with the fungus in it.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
    Junebug08
    (female)

Junebug08 HB User

I had a big toenail removed last week. The actual surgery isn't a big deal. Once you get by the needles, you can't feel anything else. The entire procedure only took about 20 minutes from the initial freezing to bandaging the toe. I have had horrible pressure and pain since the surgery, however, but I have yet to figure out if this is normal. I guess I can't offer any advice on whether to have your nails permanently removed or not. I just wanted to share my experience with the actual removal. Oh, and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would without the nail.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

If the fungal spores have invaded the nail root, the entire nail plate would have already separated from the nail bed and you could easily lift it up and away from the nail bed. There will be an area of separation where the infection has eaten away the seal that binds the nail plate to the nail bed. If you soak your toe nails in a mixture of very warm water and 1/4 cup of table salt, it will soften the nail plate and the surrounding skin so you could clean out the debris in the area of separation. The debris the waste of the infection as it eats the proteins in the nail plate for food.

Soak the nails for at least 10 full minutes, then take them out of he water and lightly dry them off. Use a manicure tool to cleanout as much of the debris as you can without causing yourself injury. You can use a wooden toothpick to clean out a little deeper if necessary, but be sure to cut off the point of the toothpick before sticking it under the nail. Once you have a smuch of the debris removed as possible, soak them for another 10 minutes in the salt water, rinse them and dryt hem really well. Use your blow dryer if necessary to ensure that all the moisture has been removed. You should be able to see thee line where the nail plate has separated from the nail plate - it will look different than where it is firmly attached. The attached portion will still look pink. If you clean out debris all the way to the cuticle, then you may very well have to have the entire nail removed from the root. If not, then see another doctor for a second opinion. I do believe many podiatrists are a little too quick to 'cut' a nail out. They can try removing only the exposed portion of nail plate without removing the root. Once the root is removed, you will never be able to grow another nail.

Closed Thread